Autofit Height for Selected Cells Only

jqavins

Back in 2003 one could select just a few cells and use autofit row height for the selected cells only. It might come out too small for other cells in the row, but sometimes that doesn't matter (such as when the cells that don't fit are hidden or excluded from the print area). I can't find how to do this in Excel 2013. Did the geniuses at Microsoft take this capability away, or just hide it?

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
No, the geniuses had other clever things in mind.

As far as I've ascertained, this is how it works. If you select any row/column header by clicking, then CTRL-clicking other row/column headers, and then select Autofit RowHeight/ColumnWidth, Excel will auto-fit the height/width to the largest cell in those selected rows/columns.

On the other hand, if you select any cell by clicking, then CTRL-clicking other cells, and then select Autofit RowHeight/ColumnWidth, Excel will auto-fit the height/width to the largest cell in those selected cells of the respective rows/columns. If you select a blank cell as one of them, Excel will not change that row/column.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nope, just tried it (again). There is large text in F22 which I don't really care about. I want to set the row height based on C22 instead. I select C22 and then use AutoFit Row Height, and it sizes to F22. To follow your instructions to the letter, I manually shrunk the row, then selected C22 again, then Ctrl-clicked D22; D22 contains something even smaller, but is not blank. Again, AutoFit Row Height sized the row to F22.

In short, the command always behaves as if I had selected the entire row no matter what I have actually selected.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It sets the height/width to the largest cell, F22. If you wish to have the height of Row22 be the height of C22, you will have to do that manually.

Upvote 0
So they did take that ability away. In Excel 2003 I could select C22 and pick "Fit row Height to Selection" and get what I'm after. Oh, well, another victim of progress.

Upvote 0
Instead of complaining, going here and making a lucid suggestion would be more constructive. I personally have never needed it and I don't miss it, but I grant that the feature might be useful to you in your particular workbook. Others might vote for your idea and MS will consider adding the functionality if enough do. Just sign up and go to 'Post a new idea'.

https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304921-excel-for-windows-desktop-application

Best of luck.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgp19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back