Automatically Adding to a list when a folder is created?

PaulOPTC

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Good Morning,
What I am looking to do might not even be possible, but I am hoping that it is, even if I have to try and figure out Access to make it work.

I work for a construction company, and the way we add jobs to our server is:

Job number - Job address - Job name
example 1500 - 123 test lane - Lots of work

When we make a new folder, we start in a folder called "Bid" following that same naming structure, and if we are awarded the job, it gets moved (removed completely from bid) into a folder called "Active" until its completed, in which it is moved into a folder called "Archive".

I have a button ( that I put together from frankenstein code) That takes the folder that I select, and puts the job number, job address, and job name into a table ( the macro separates it by - ). And then I drag that into a big list of all of our jobs, and I mark the status of the job ( active, bid, or archive). And then delete duplicates.

What I am hoping for, is some sort of VBA code that can automatically add the job to the table, whenever a new folder is created.

Ideally the code would automatically:

1) Look at the bid folders, the active folder, and the archive folders.
2) Look at the job number, and the job status (job status is active, bid, or archived) on the current table
3) If that job number is on the table, and it is in the correct folder (active, bid or archived) , do nothing
4) If that job number is NOT on the list, add it to the table (separating Job number, address, and job name) and then changing its status to which ever folder it is currently in.
5) If that job number is on the list, but has the wrong status, change the status. (This would happen if we moved a job from bid to active, or from active to archive)

Again, I dont even know if this is possible, but I would like it too be.

The purpose of this is to eventually have all of our project trackers (different excel workbooks) and active jobs list refer back to this one master list. I would eventually like to assign customer names and emails to projects as well, so we have a running list of everything.

I have never used microsoft access, but if you think that it makes more sense to do it in there, I would be up to learning and figuring it out. (Other programs work as well if you recommend them, we as a company just all use mircosoft products.)

Any help or insight you have would be appreciated, Even if you tell me its impossible (so I can stop looking and trying to figure this out).

Thank you for your help! Have a great day!

Excel Facts

Move date out one month or year
Use =EDATE(A2,1) for one month later. Use EDATE(A2,12) for one year later.
You posted in Excel forum, but I think you're working in Access. In that case, I'm afraid you're going at this the hard way. IMO you should not be mixing the use of File Explorer and a db to manage this. Use only the db and put job data in tblJobs, including status. If there are files associated with the job, store those paths in tblJobFiles and relate JobIDfk in that table (fk = foreign key that related to the primary key of the parent record) to the pk field from tblJobs. You can call up the files in Access because you've stored the path and it won't matter if they're active/bid/archived - you can filter the returned records according to status. Do not store the files in Access tables, just the file paths. One of the most important aspects of your db will be normalization. If not familiar, best to study it first. Don't treat Access as a spreadsheet or you will struggle with it. There are lots of contracting/construction schemas here

Upvote 0
You posted in Excel forum, but I think you're working in Access. In that case, I'm afraid you're going at this the hard way. IMO you should not be mixing the use of File Explorer and a db to manage this. Use only the db and put job data in tblJobs, including status. If there are files associated with the job, store those paths in tblJobFiles and relate JobIDfk in that table (fk = foreign key that related to the primary key of the parent record) to the pk field from tblJobs. You can call up the files in Access because you've stored the path and it won't matter if they're active/bid/archived - you can filter the returned records according to status. Do not store the files in Access tables, just the file paths. One of the most important aspects of your db will be normalization. If not familiar, best to study it first. Don't treat Access as a spreadsheet or you will struggle with it. There are lots of contracting/construction schemas here
I am sorry, I must have worded things incorrectly, everything is currently being done in excel, I know access is a database manager, so if that is a better option then excel, I will take that route. I will take a look at that link and see if I can make something work!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What I am looking to do might not even be possible, but I am hoping that it is, even if I have to try and figure out Access to make it work.
Sorry, it was the reference to Access that led me astray. The schemas in those links are for databases and won't help you with Excel (at least I don't think so). No doubt I am biased, but Access is definitely a good candidate for managing your issue. You might not have the time or desire to follow its learning curve though. M$ makes it easy to take shortcuts but the end result is usually less than perfect. I'm afraid I can't help with an Excel approach to this. Good luck!

Upvote 0
Sorry, it was the reference to Access that led me astray. The schemas in those links are for databases and won't help you with Excel (at least I don't think so). No doubt I am biased, but Access is definitely a good candidate for managing your issue. You might not have the time or desire to follow its learning curve though. M$ makes it easy to take shortcuts but the end result is usually less than perfect. I'm afraid I can't help with an Excel approach to this. Good luck!
Thank you for your reply, I will take a look at access and try and figure that out. I am not even sure where to start for something like this, should I link the existing excel table with access?

Or is there a template you reccomend that I start with?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You might be ok linking the spreadsheet, but I'm saying that seldom do they make good database tables. I'd have to see it to advise. Templates are an option but seldom do they give you everything you want because every business seems different. Some of them don't follow the best db design principles either. To know if a particular one is good for you would require anyone to understand your business operation fairly well. If you decide to pursue Access, I'll do what I can to help but I think that would be a different thread. I have a bunch of links for novice db developers if you want to follow them. I've posted them on this site many times, no doubt.

Upvote 0
You might be ok linking the spreadsheet, but I'm saying that seldom do they make good database tables. I'd have to see it to advise. Templates are an option but seldom do they give you everything you want because every business seems different. Some of them don't follow the best db design principles either. To know if a particular one is good for you would require anyone to understand your business operation fairly well. If you decide to pursue Access, I'll do what I can to help but I think that would be a different thread. I have a bunch of links for novice db developers if you want to follow them. I've posted them on this site many times, no doubt.
Thank you, I have started doing some research on access. I found your post from Access or Excel regarding some beginner terminology, this is not my expertise or even in my job decription, so I will not be finished with this any time soon, but would it be okay if I message you with any questions that I have?

Upvote 0
Not sure, but I suspect this forum frowns on anyone solving an issue via pm's as opposed to by threads. OK by me but I don't know if questions about what you learn are OK as pm's. If not, I guess you'll be told otherwise.
You are right though, Access has a long learning curve, but if you stick with it, you'll be MILES ahead of anyone who uses Excel as a database. Just my opinion of course.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rehanahmadawan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back