Automatically Generate or Create a Population of Pivots From a Mapping Table or Configuration File

MR2sRFun

I've had an Excel vision and don't know if anything like this currently exists. If it does, I can't seem to find it online. I'm looking for a highly configurable way to automatically generate pivot tables and pivot charts based on one or two mapping tables or configuration files.

My current sketch looks at using a population of mapping tables stored in an Access DB that can be called by Excel and selected by a user through a user form. Once the mapping (configuration) is selected, the parameters within are accessed by the VBA to generate my analysis.

This solution would allow for highly configurable analysis based on different mapping tables.

The mapping table would follow something of the following structure and would contain the parameters that would be passed to the VBA procedures and functions to auto-create all the pivots and pivot charts I want in a few seconds.

WorksheetID #NameTypeUsed HowField NameParameter 1Parameter 2Parameter 3Error Message
Wksht 1 Name1BndPremPivotReport FilterBound?Filter Value
Wksht 1 Name1BndPremPivotRow LabelBound DateWidth?
Wksht 1 Name1BndPremPivotColumn Label
Wksht 1 Name1BndPremPivotValueBoundPremSummarize asShow as
Wksht 1 Name1BndPremPivotCalced Fieldformula here
Wksht 1 Name10BndPremChrtPivChartPivotNameChart TypeChart TitleChart Legend
Wksht 2 Name2PivotReport Filter
Wksht 2 Name2PivotRow Label
Wksht 2 Name2PivotColumn Label
Wksht 2 Name2PivotValue
Wksht 2 Name2PivotCalced Field
Wksht 2 Name11PivChart

<tbody>
</tbody>

Is there a better way to arrive towards my final solution of repeatable analysis given that my data will be frequently changing in both structure and field names? I've considered a more SQL heavy, Access focused approach, but I'm not familiar at all with creating dynamic SQL queries through the use of a config file.

I've already created an Excel solution for the end user to map conformed field names to field names from a data import, so half of my work is already done. I just need to develop the auto-generating pivot and chart solution to get what I want.

I also want an open-source solution.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PsychoCube

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back