AVERAGEIF over non-contiguous range...there has to be a better way

ZenZilla

I'm trying to average three non-contiguous cells that contain referential formulas, based on the criteria that the values are >0 (I want to ignore 0 values in the average). Everything I can think of either doesn't work or will be stupidly complex. There must be a simple way to use criteria formulas (SUMIF, COUNTIF, AVERAGEIF, etc...) with non-contiguous ranges.

Such a simple problem...Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
Which version of Excel are you using?
Is it really just 3 single cells ? Or will you be expanding to 'several' or 'many' cells ?
Is there any pattern to the cells that could be used, like every 3rd cell?
Or maybe an adjescent column/row has some text flag, like average the cells in column B if the cell in column A has "x" in it?

Upvote 0
I'm using Excel 2010.

And yes it really is just three single cells...well per formula. Once I find a solution I will be using it for 10 different averages each of which will be for three cells. Those cells being J3,W3, and AC3 for the first set. Same columns for rows 3-12, but each row will be independent as I said above.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately it is going to be complex to use non contiguouse ranges.

I have this for starters.
For just 3 cells, try this array formula entered with CTRL + SHIFT + ENTER

=AVERAGE(IF(CHOOSE({1;2;3},J3,W3,AC3)>0,CHOOSE({1;2;3},J3,W3,AC3)))

But is there any other pattern or flag like I mentioned in previous post?
What is in the between cells? K3 to V3, X3 to AB3 ?
If those cells are NON Numeric, then you can just do
=AVERAGEIF(J3:AC3,">0")
Blanks and TEXT values in the 'between' cells will be ignored.

Upvote 0
Ah, that was a solution I had not thought of! It seems to be working without issue.

There is no other pattern or flag, and the cells in-between are all numeric values.

Thank you so much. Still hard to believe there isn't a built in way to do this

Upvote 0
You're welcome.

There is a built in way to average non contiguouse cells.
=AVERAGE(J3,W3,AC3)

It's the added criteria of >0 that is making it complicated.

Are the cells in J3 W3 AC3 the result of a Formula?
Perhaps it might be easier to make those formulas return "" instead of 0 ?

Upvote 0
Yes, they are the result of this formula:

=INDEX('Previous Year'!D:D,MATCH(1,($A4='Previous Year'!$A:$A)*(Summary!$T$2='Previous Year'!$B:$B),0))

J3 example above.

Upvote 0
You could replace that with
=IFERROR(1/(1/INDEX('Previous Year'!D:D,MATCH(1,($A4='Previous Year'!$A:$A)*(Summary!$T$2='Previous Year'!$B:$B),0))),"")

That would make those cells return "" instead of 0, then plain old average works fine.

Upvote 0
=INDEX('Previous Year'!D:D,MATCH(1,($A4='Previous Year'!$A:$A)*(Summary!$T$2='Previous Year'!$B:$B),0))

Using entire column references within an array formula is not at all a good idea.

Unlike some functions, e.g. COUNTIF(S), SUMIF(S), with which the use of entire column references has virtually no detriment to calculation performance, array-processing functions must calculate over all cells passed to them. And that applies equally to those cells which are beyond the last non-empty cell in the range being passed.

So if, for example, you only have data extending as far as row 1000, then, by using entire column references in such a formula, you are forcing Excel to calculate more than one million cells beyond that which is actually necessary, an astonishing amount for a single formula.

As such, it is important to either choose a suitably low - though sufficient - value for the upper row reference, or else make your ranges dynamic, such that the upper row reference is determined via a function which automatically detect the last-used cell within the column, thus offering maximum efficiency.

Regards

Upvote 0
You could replace that with
=IFERROR(1/(1/INDEX('Previous Year'!D:D,MATCH(1,($A4='Previous Year'!$A:$A)*(Summary!$T$2='Previous Year'!$B:$B),0))),"")

That would make those cells return "" instead of 0, then plain old average works fine.

This formula works as a replacement, but I'm not sure I understand the logic. Specifically the use of IFERROR and 1/.

@XOR LX Thanks for the tip! I will change them to the proper ranges and hopefully I will see an increase in the calculation speed

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Healthydogs

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back