Averaging returns from Hlookup that include values and text

hellcat83

Hi

I'm in the process of building a sheet for the guys at work.

Part of the sheet requires me to take a range of cells, convert them using hlookup into either straight values or text and then average the resulting range.

Doing this as a two step process fine, but nesting the text returns from the hlookup into the average function is returning ###.

I've tried this every way I can think of, so I though someone might be able to help.

I've put a sample of the original data, converted data and latest formula below;

Original: 3a, 3c, -
Converted through hlookup on its own: 3.3, 3.1, -
Latest formula; =AVERAGE(IF(ISNUMBER(HLOOKUP(DK14,'Grade Boundaries'!$G$30:$AB$31,2,FALSE)),HLOOKUP(DK14,'Grade Boundaries'!$G$30:$AB$31,2,FALSE),""),IF(ISNUMBER(HLOOKUP(DM14,'Grade Boundaries'!$G$30:$AB$31,2,FALSE)),HLOOKUP(DM14,'Grade Boundaries'!$G$30:$AB$31,2,FALSE),""))

I've tried changing the "-" to a blank and I've tried using a range on the lookup to cut things down a bit, but to no avail.

Any help would be great.

Cheers

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
I've had a lot of problems with this as well.

I think what you're trying to do is say have a list of items (as text), use lookups to get those items into numbers and then average those numbers. And you're using nesting the formulas to get around having to have too many columns?

Unfortunately I don't think its going to work. When you use the AVERAGE function on a range, it seems to automatically know that "-"/"" are not numbers and automatically excludes them. When you use it as nested statement it explicitly includes all of the items so therefore includes the text values as well.

If you give me a few days I might be able to come back to you with a user defined (VBA) formula that can do it? I'd call it something like AverageHLookup or something like that :)

Upvote 0
Hi

That's exactly what I'm trying to do. I actually tried testing it long hand, placing the data in separated by commas, and it seems that while average will exclude text if entered as a range, when specified it can't handle it.

Its not a massive problem for me to put in extra columns and hide them, I just wanted to be as neat as poss, but if you want to try something that would be good.

Cheers

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qh017

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back