B1 and C1 Indirect Validation to A1 based on condition of each other.

daeswm

I am creating a quote form for the sales team. I am using named lists and data validation. Scenario is:

Category
Chassis_PN Chassis_Desc
Chassis
P2R-8 8 Slot Chassis (Includes Variable PSU & SG/SW)
Power Supply
P2R-14 14 Slot Chassis (Includes Variable PSU & SG/SW)
Circuit Cards

Currently:
Cell A1 uses data validation to select from named list "Category". E.g. displays Chassis
Cell B1 uses indirect data validation to select from a named list depending on the category selected. E.g. select P2R-8
Cell C1 auto-populates with the Chassis_Desc, depending on the Chassis_PN selected

All works fine; 40 categories and 400 dependent part numbers (_PN) and associated descriptions (_DESC)
Even managed to pull the pricing into the quote form and dependent on the Chassis_PN selected

Problem: Depending on the Category selected, some of the part numbers (B1) are vague or it is not easy to determine what the part actually is without a description. Currently, the description (C1) is automatically filled in when the part number (B1) is selected. The sales team asked if there was a way to create drop-downs in both (B1) and (C1). Doing this would allow them to scroll either list and select by part number (B1) or by description (C1) to find the item they are looking for.

If the sales guy is scrolling through the part number list (B1), I would like for (C1) to auto-populate on the selection of (B1).
I would also like the reverse, for part number (B1) to auto-populate depending on the selection of description C1.
I've tried indirect validation to (A1) in both (B1) and (C1), but receive circular reference errors.
E.g. If (B1) is empty, activate description list (C1) depending on (A1) selection. If (C1) is empty, activate part number list (B1) depending on (A1) selection.

Am I going about this the right way or is there another option.. without having to write code?

This is my first ever post to a forum. Sorry if I screw something up.

<style type="text/css"> img.imageResizerActiveClass{cursor:nw-resize !important;outline:1px dashed black !important;} img.imageResizerChangedClass{z-index:300 !important;max-width:none !important;max-height:none !important;} img.imageResizerBoxClass{margin:auto; z-index:99999 !important; position:fixed; top:0; left:0; right:0; bottom:0; border:1px solid white; outline:1px solid black;} </style>Excel 2010
ABCDE
1Column A dropdown refences Master Lists tab
2Column B dropdown is dependant on Column A selection and also refences Master Lists tab
3Column C looks at the entry in column B and finds the matching entry on the New Price List and returns the adjecent or "Description" entry
4Column D does the same as column C, but returns the next adjecent or "List Price" entry
6Breakdown of VLOOKUP formula in cell C18 thru C33:
7B9Compare cell B to table array (New Price List tab)VLOOKUP(B9,PriceList,2,0)
8NewPriceListTable array Name Reference (A9:D498)VLOOKUP(B9,NewPriceList,2,0)
92second column of table array to pull text fromVLOOKUP(B9,PriceList,2,0)
100Must be an exact matchVLOOKUP(B9,PriceList,2,0)
11IFERRORHides the "#NA" error if cell A or B is empty
12Breakdown of VLOOKUP formula in cell D18 thru D33:
13All same but change to column 4 of NewPriceList array
152? Number of systems
17Select Main ListSelect Item( Auto-filled )Qty( Auto-filled )
19PPCardsP2DDriver Card (48 Channels)2 $ 22,000.00
21P2RUpgradeP2R-8UG+VTCPinPoint 2R - 8 slot system (Includes VPS, VTC and TestVue)1 $ 29,000.00

<colgroup><col style="width: 25pxpx"><col><col><col><col><col></colgroup><thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>
Sample Quote Sheet

Worksheet Formulas
CellFormula
C18=IFERROR((VLOOKUP(B18,NewPriceList,2,0)),"")
C19=IFERROR((VLOOKUP(B19,NewPriceList,2,0)),"")
C20=IFERROR((VLOOKUP(B20,NewPriceList,2,0)),"")
C21=IFERROR((VLOOKUP(B21,NewPriceList,2,0)),"")
C22=IFERROR((VLOOKUP(B22,NewPriceList,2,0)),"")
E18=IFERROR((VLOOKUP(B18,NewPriceList,4,0))*D18,"")
E19=IFERROR((VLOOKUP(B19,NewPriceList,4,0))*D19,"")
E20=IFERROR((VLOOKUP(B20,NewPriceList,4,0))*D20,"")
E21=IFERROR((VLOOKUP(B21,NewPriceList,4,0))*D21,"")
E22=IFERROR((VLOOKUP(B22,NewPriceList,4,0))*D22,"")

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Workbook Defined Names
NameRefers To
List='Master Lists'!$A$2:$A$18
NewPriceList='New Price List'!$A$9:$D$498
PriceList='New Price List'!$A$9:$D$498

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

<style type="text/css"> img.imageResizerActiveClass{cursor:nw-resize !important;outline:1px dashed black !important;} img.imageResizerChangedClass{z-index:300 !important;max-width:none !important;max-height:none !important;} img.imageResizerBoxClass{margin:auto; z-index:99999 !important; position:fixed; top:0; left:0; right:0; bottom:0; border:1px solid white; outline:1px solid black;} </style>

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
Welcome to MrExcel.

You would need VBA for that. A cell can have data validation or a formula, but not both.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yesitisasport

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back