Barcode Scanner

Paarfus

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I manage a Calibration Lab and we use a barcode system to manage/action items in our logistical information system for calibration. However, there's no built in inventory function for current in shop items
and we often have 1,000+ items in shop. Our system does export to Excel however. What I'm looking to do is use the barcode scanner to not only search out in shop listing, but also action the cell/row when
There is a match for the barcode scanned.

Thanks

EDIT: I would simply just want to highlight the cell/row green to show the item was verified as on hand

Last edited by a moderator:

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
I manage a Calibration Lab and we use a barcode system to manage/action items in our logistical information system for calibration. However, there's no built in inventory function for current in shop items
and we often have 1,000+ items in shop. Our system does export to Excel however. What I'm looking to do is use the barcode scanner to not only search out in shop listing, but also action the cell/row when
There is a match for the barcode scanned.

Thanks

EDIT: I would simply just want to highlight the cell/row green to show the item was verified as on hand
Can you post an example of the output?

Upvote 0
Can you post an example of the output?
In Shop Output.PNG

Upvote 0
Objective is to scan the item and have it search the Excel document and highlight the row green if there's a match.
Items in the shop are affixed with a barcode that corresponds with the codes in column B

Upvote 0
Items in the shop are affixed with a barcode that corresponds with the codes in column B
Hey Paarfus, I am assuming you know how to add code to a worksheet in this scenario. Let me know if you get stuck.

I setup a dummy worksheet, with columns labeled Column 1 thru 13. Your input Field will be Cell P1, as referenced in the screenshot below.

1681391689856.png

add the code below to your worksheet, and you should be able to scan values into P1, and this will search for the value. If the value isn't found, a message box pops up and notfies the user the value wasn't found, then cell P1 clears out.
Conversely, if the value is found, it will highlight the row, and then clear cell P1, enabling the cell to accept another entry. I tested this on my dummy worksheet and it works with no issue.

VBA Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

If Range("P1") <> "" Then

Dim Barcode As String
Barcode = Range("P1")

Dim SearchRange As Range

Dim lastrow As Long
lastrow = Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row

Set SearchRange = Range("B2:B" & lastrow).Find(Barcode, LookIn:=xlValues, lookat:=xlWhole)

If SearchRange Is Nothing Then
MsgBox ("Value Not Found")

Range("P1").ClearContents
Exit Sub

Else

SearchRange.EntireRow.Interior.ColorIndex = 6
End If
End If
End Sub

Upvote 0
Solution
Couldn't you just use Ctrl-F (find), then scan the barcode in question. If there is a match, you can visit the line and see if the item is on hand.
Hey Phil! Yes we could, but i'm looking to have Excel automate the function of highlighting the row green if the scanned barcode is found within the table. Manually highlighting the row green over thousands of items extends the amount of time considerably to conduct an inventory that produces a document that shows unfound items for investigation.

Upvote 0
Hey Paarfus, I am assuming you know how to add code to a worksheet in this scenario. Let me know if you get stuck.

I setup a dummy worksheet, with columns labeled Column 1 thru 13. Your input Field will be Cell P1, as referenced in the screenshot below.

View attachment 89616

add the code below to your worksheet, and you should be able to scan values into P1, and this will search for the value. If the value isn't found, a message box pops up and notfies the user the value wasn't found, then cell P1 clears out.
Conversely, if the value is found, it will highlight the row, and then clear cell P1, enabling the cell to accept another entry. I tested this on my dummy worksheet and it works with no issue.

VBA Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)

If Range("P1") <> "" Then

Dim Barcode As String
Barcode = Range("P1")

Dim SearchRange As Range

Dim lastrow As Long
lastrow = Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row

Set SearchRange = Range("B2:B" & lastrow).Find(Barcode, LookIn:=xlValues, lookat:=xlWhole)

If SearchRange Is Nothing Then
MsgBox ("Value Not Found")

Exit Sub

Else

SearchRange.EntireRow.Interior.ColorIndex = 6
End If
End If
End Sub
I received an error and Debug took me to:

Not sure what the error is or how to fix. Runtime error 1004?

Upvote 0
I received an error and Debug took me to:

Not sure what the error is or how to fix. Runtime error 1004?
Are there any other sheets in your workbook? Did you insert this as a module, or add to the sheet's code?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chestertim

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back