Best technique for popup notes

cogswel__cogs

Board Regular
Hi Newbe here well kinda of an oldbe but that was a long time ago and a few emails back.

I want to create pop up comments based on pivot table fields.
They are actually team replies to earlier reports and figured it would eb a goo way for management to get the notifications. I already have it set up using message boxes, but I think I am going to have size limitations. Would I be better using userforms, or something else?

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
Give me a example:
If this happens I want a:

Message Box to PopUp with this:

Or do you want a comment added to a cell if this happens.

Or I want something else:

And what might the message say?

Upvote 0
No the pivottable is being used for P&L type report. Prior months report goes out with question. So I have table of responces and actions and want user to be able to use shortcut to fire macros when in gl rows. Macro brings up any notes for particular divisions and GL code cursor is in.
Rigt now it calls up mesage box with message, but was wondering should I use forms or anoter tool?

Upvote 0
As of now the size of the I am hoping to popup seem to be to big for msgbox. I am going to probabbly use userform and import them as pictures. Again if there is a better way to go would love a push in right direction.

Upvote 0
Your going to use a Userform and import them as picture?
I asked several questions which you never answered.
If all you want is some sort of image to popup with your message there are lots of easier ways then creting a userform. I asked for a example of what this image may be. Will it just be a image with a lot of text like instructions on how to do something or what?

Just to let you know a simple Message Box can hold a lot of text.

Here are four different examples of ways to have a message popup on your screen.
Try each script and see what they do.
Code:
Sub My_Message()
Dim ans As String
ans = "How are you George? Did you have a nice New Years day? " & vbNewLine & _
" I know you and Mary have had a lot of things going on this year and I hope next year 2018 will be a better one." & vbNewLine & _
" Tell all the kids I said Hello."
MsgBox ans
End Sub

Code:
Sub Message_From_Cell_Value()
Dim ans As String
Range("C1000").Value = "As of now the size of the I am hoping to popup seem to be to big for msgbox. I am going to probabbly use userform and import them as pictures. Again if there is a better way to go would love a push in right direction."
ans = Range("C1000").Value
MsgBox ans
End Sub

Code:
Sub My_Time_Example()
ActiveSheet.Shapes.AddTextbox(msoTextOrientationHorizontal, 435, 90.75, 177.75, 102).Select
    Selection.ShapeRange.Fill.ForeColor.RGB = RGB(255, 255, 0)
    Selection.Left = ActiveCell.Left
    Selection.Top = ActiveCell.Top
    ShapeName = Selection.Name

With Selection.ShapeRange.TextFrame2
        .TextRange.Font.Size = 16
        .TextRange.ParagraphFormat.Alignment = msoAlignCenter
        .TextRange.Characters.Text = "It Is Now" & Chr(13) & Now
        .TextRange.Font.Fill.ForeColor.RGB = RGB(0, 0, 255)
        .TextRange.Font.Bold = True
        .AutoSize = msoAutoSizeShapeToFitText
    End With
End Sub
Code:
Sub My_Message_From_Cell_Value_In_Shape()
Range("C1000").Value = "As of now the size of the I am hoping to popup seem to be to big for msgbox. I am going to probabbly use userform and import them as pictures. Again if there is a better way to go would love a push in right direction."
ActiveSheet.Shapes.AddTextbox(msoTextOrientationHorizontal, 435, 90.75, 177.75, 102).Select
    Selection.ShapeRange.Fill.ForeColor.RGB = RGB(255, 255, 0)
    Selection.Left = ActiveCell.Left
    Selection.Top = ActiveCell.Top
    ShapeName = Selection.Name

With Selection.ShapeRange.TextFrame2
        .TextRange.Font.Size = 16
        .TextRange.ParagraphFormat.Alignment = msoAlignCenter
        .TextRange.Characters.Text = Range("C1000").Value
        .TextRange.Font.Fill.ForeColor.RGB = RGB(0, 0, 255)
        .TextRange.Font.Bold = True
        .AutoSize = msoAutoSizeShapeToFitText
    End With
End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0
"Just to let you know a simple Message Box can hold a lot of text." Do you know how much. I was joining two fields of comments and noticed some were bring in second comment and if I lessened size it brought it in so I figured I was exceeding limit. Its funny it just would not bring any of the second comment, would not fill till it ran out of room. Or at least that is what it seemed to do.

Thanks so much I will try the codes out.
All I am looking to do is put in some macros with (CNTL-#) shortcuts that will pull text from various cells from a table of prior reports responces. This way when the the pivottable is updated responces from prior reports can be viewed by firing the macro.

Macro looks at what line(s) you are on in pivot table and brings up any notes for that particular line (GL code/ rollup) and division(Pivot field).
However some of the responses are wordy or they might be multiple responses, so I am looking for the best technique to have the responses pop up for the user.

Upvote 0
No. I do not know what the limit is?
But just from my few test it's at least 100 Characters.
"Just to let you know a simple Message Box can hold a lot of text." Do you know how much. I was joining two fields of comments and noticed some were bring in second comment and if I lessened size it brought it in so I figured I was exceeding limit. Its funny it just would not bring any of the second comment, would not fill till it ran out of room. Or at least that is what it seemed to do.

Thanks so much I will try the codes out.
All I am looking to do is put in some macros with (CNTL-#) shortcuts that will pull text from various cells from a table of prior reports responces. This way when the the pivottable is updated responces from prior reports can be viewed by firing the macro.

Macro looks at what line(s) you are on in pivot table and brings up any notes for that particular line (GL code/ rollup) and division(Pivot field).
However some of the responses are wordy or they might be multiple responses, so I am looking for the best technique to have the responses pop up for the user.

Upvote 0
Hi, Thanks for your help.
Looking at the last code you attached, I realized I could use similar text boxes in userforms.
This is working great. Never really worked with them before and did not realize I had so much ability to set up the boxes before hand. Plus is gives me ability to let user view multiple comments by just installing next and prior macros to move from comment to comment.
Thanks for your help.

Upvote 0
Well glad you have things working for you. I do not understand why your using UserForms. So when something happens you have a Userform Popup with your message I guess. But if that works for you that's great.
Hi, Thanks for your help.
Looking at the last code you attached, I realized I could use similar text boxes in userforms.
This is working great. Never really worked with them before and did not realize I had so much ability to set up the boxes before hand. Plus is gives me ability to let user view multiple comments by just installing next and prior macros to move from comment to comment.
Thanks for your help.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AGreen17

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back