I have this in column A, starting with row 1:

Blue
Yellow
Blue
Red
Red
Yellow

Question 1)
I want to calculate how many unique entries I have in that column - that is 3 (for Blue, Yellow and Red).

Question 2)
I want to keep column 2 populated with these unique entries, like this:

Blue
Yellow
Red

(in the order they occur in column A)

..and when Green is added in column A then column B should be updated with that too.

_____
(I've read several posts on my topic, but no one seam to be exact what I need, and I can't figure out how to tweak the formula to fit my needs. I've tried FREQUENCY and SUMPRODUCT but in both I've encountered problems. For the FREQUENCY example there was a TRUNC part that I couldn't bypass, and for the SUMPODUCT I never got the hang of the -- thing. I hope this can help.)

Row\Col
A​
B​
C​
1​
ITEM
3​
2​
**BlueDistinct Item List
3​
**YellowBlue
4​
**BlueYellow
5​
**RedRed
6​
**Red
7​
**Yellow

Assign Items as name to the range of A2:A7 using the Name Box.

Define Ivec using Formulas | Name Manager as referring to:
Rich (BB code):

=ROW(Items)-ROW(INDEX(Items,1,1))+1

C1, control+shift+enter (cse), not just enter:
Rich (BB code):

=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(Items<>"",MATCH(Items,Items,0)),Ivec),1))

C3, cse and copied down:
Rich (BB code):

=IFERROR(INDEX(Items,SMALL(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(Items<>"",
    MATCH(Items,Items,0)),Ivec),Ivec),ROWS(C$3:C3))),"")

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
RonB and PeterSSs - you are much helpful, and you manage to explain these things in a very easy understandable way. Thanks for the added value!

Upvote 0
Peter,
I'm using Excel 2013.
While I'm familiar with * and ? as wildcards, it never dawned upon me to combine them like you did to exclude blanks. I used excel "?*" countif as a google search & while many links came up, I only found 1 with "?*" but no explanation. It now seems obvious to me. One of the most useful feature of this forum for me is seeing and learning the techniques others use to solve problems. Many thanks.
Ron

Upvote 0
Rixn,

Peter’s formula’s are much more eloquent than mine.

To answer your question on the &”” at the end of the SUMPRODUCT formula, it’s to deal with blank cells. You’ve probably already discovered that without the &”” the formula returns #DIV/0. If you break down the formula results by going into the formula bar and highlighting just the A2:A100 and pressing the F9 key, you’ll see in the array results that blank cells are considered 0, which causes the #DIV/0 error. Now hit Esc and highlight A2:A100&”” and press the F9 key and you’ll see that the blank cells are now considered blanks and there is no longer a #DIV/0 error.

You’re right that there’s very little documentation on this. I stumbled upon it some time back but I can’t find where now. I don’t remember any explanation other than it worked, so I backed into what was happening by breaking down the formula as described above. Peter’s “?*” in the countif criteria was new to me and when googling it I didn’t find any explanation. It’s a clever use of the wildcard characters which exclude cells with formulas returning blanks. It also works as “*?” but not with just the ? or just the *. While I don’t fully understand this, it’s another nice technique that I’ll keep in the back of my head – thank you again Peter.

Ron

http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/70835-count-distinct-function.html

Upvote 0
Peter,
I'm using Excel 2013.
While I'm familiar with * and ? as wildcards, it never dawned upon me to combine them like you did to exclude blanks. I used excel "?*" countif as a google search & while many links came up, I only found 1 with "?*" but no explanation. It now seems obvious to me. One of the most useful feature of this forum for me is seeing and learning the techniques others use to solve problems. Many thanks.
Ron

I use this "?*" all the time. Does not require much explanation: It means "begins with any char" and applies to strings...

Upvote 0
[how do I delete a post?]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NyDarR

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back