Calling Home VBA script

droid_orat

Hello,

I am working with some sensitive data and find myself in a need to monitor access to the MS Excel/Access files we use.

I need an effective solution. I was thinking about macro which would send me a message or would connect to certain address to leave a log with the computers where it has been accessed IP, user name, machine name and etc. Is it even possible?

Acknowledging it is macro - I also need a way to have data being accessible only after macros have been enabled - this is a particular truth for MS Access databases.

Thank you!

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
I am assuming Your at work right?

so you lok into the documents via windows long in? That is DC (domain) and teh files reside on the company FileServer in X locations

Ask you manager to request the IT dept restrict access to the parent file tree to X Y Z staff, other will not even know the files are there, that's restriction of access or can be set as group in Group Policy again speak to the IT boys for that

Another thing is is under M$ Win 2k3 2k8x or 2012x you can create event log for access vis domain / user name and take access details, and loads of bits like time open, edited etc etc

Also set up a back up scripts to off the file in case it goes poo you can pall last good back

Thats about it really Admins work not users

Upvote 0
Hello "Jack in the UK",

that is the thing - I need created files to be migratable as I need to provide those for a number of people outside my organisation. Aforementioned measures are to be designed to make sure they are not forwarding those to the third parties.

Upvote 0
>> outside my organisation

well they will have to connect to the company system i.e. RDS session are popular, again via authentication log in and passwords on RDS connect as well, its secure and safe, another is SSL connect

In truth, i promise you can not stop this, if you have granted access they can do as they please subject to uses rights, ie read the file as have lawful access they can copy, send, forward, pretty much any thing

Even a simple series of print screed will allow this, then these are the missed security setting in RDS sessions and servers etc etc and so it goes on

My view if you cant TOTALLY trust someone, dont let them have it (access)

The onl fix i can see is cut ALL network traffic one a session is connected so only the RDS tunnel works, so they can not download the file, save, store, send or forward it, only view and work locally (as in that session) once the files released and RDS shut down Windows is killed in both copy locations and wipped, thus unable to bring data cross sessions after the fact

Now if that all makes scene, i am sure your understand the problems, its not easy and takes a lot of time, things like blocking outside internet traffic, any inbound traffic and stopping IE working, blocking any web access freeze local hardware access etc etc the list is endless and someone like me will find a way around it even if for no reason just fun as will see it as a challenge

The bugger is if they HAVE to print - and are off site, then your never stop it - print is complex to control, to air, cloud, local, paper, to file and so it goes on .... paper records are impossible to control

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stevejhonsy

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back