Dim maximum As Variant
Dim rngCol As Range
Dim lngRow As Long
Dim rngAdd As Range

'Enter desired range in which to find the maximum value
strData = "Total_tools_out"

Set rng = Range(strData)

'Determines maximum value in range
maximum = Application.WorksheetFunction.Max(rng)

For Each rngCol In rng.Columns

'Returns row number of the maximum value, in the column which has the same
lngRow = Application.WorksheetFunction.Match(maximum, rngCol, 0)

'Returns cell address of the maximum value
Set rngAdd = rngCol.Cells(lngRow, 1)

'Selects smallest value to highlight with color
rngAdd.Select

With Selection
tools = Range("item").Value
End With

With Selection
diameter = Range("diameter").Value and point here   
End With

With Selection
.Interior.Color = RGB(255, 140, 0)
End With

'Message displays the searched range, smallest value, and its address
MsgBox "Most frequently used tools is (""" & tools & """) and size is (""" & diameter & """) total used " & maximum & " number of tools."
Next

With Selection
.Interior.ColorIndex = 0
End With

End Sub

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I don't think you can use quotes in your code like this, """, change it to apostrophe like "'" or "'" & "'"

Edit:

I meant this:

Hi, I don't think you can use quotes in your code like this, """, change it to apostrophe like "'" or "''"

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
Edit:

I meant this:

Hi, I don't think you can use quotes in your code like this, """, change it to apostrophe like "'" or "''"

@jtakw, the message box statement works for me as is. So the problem is not the quote marks. The problem lies either in the declaration statement or the values in the cells. Until those can be brought to agree with each other as data types, the error will occur.

Upvote 0
Edit:

I meant this:

I dun think this can be work, because once this being changed to "'" or "''", it will turn the msg in to green color, means, it just some words in the code

Upvote 0
I dun think this can be work, because once this being changed to "'" or "''", it will turn the msg in to green color, means, it just some words in the code
You are correct, jovie. The problem is not the quote marks. One of your variables, either 'tools' and 'diameter' are the likely suspects. For whatever reason, one or both of them are not matching up with what VBA thinks they should be as a data type. That is what causes the error to occur. When a property or and object is used in the code in a way that is different from how it is declared in the Dim statement, or in a way that causes it to differ from what VBA thinks it should be, it will throw the errror. But that particular error message can be tricky, because under certain conditions, a blank cell can cause it to display. I have spent hours trying to debug some of those. But if you are trying to get the message box to display the values of the variables, then the double quote marks are not needed. If you want to just show the words 'tools' and 'diameter' then you could eliminate the ampersands and all the quote marks except the first and last on the message.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You are correct, jovie. The problem is not the quote marks. One of your variables, either 'tools' and 'diameter' are the likely suspects. For whatever reason, one or both of them are not matching up with what VBA thinks they should be as a data type. That is what causes the error to occur. When a property or and object is used in the code in a way that is different from how it is declared in the Dim statement, or in a way that causes it to differ from what VBA thinks it should be, it will throw the errror. But that particular error message can be tricky, because under certain conditions, a blank cell can cause it to display. I have spent hours trying to debug some of those. But if you are trying to get the message box to display the values of the variables, then the double quote marks are not needed. If you want to just show the words 'tools' and 'diameter' then you could eliminate the ampersands and all the quote marks except the first and last on the message.

Because I want to show what tools and what diameter is being used, so I used """, if I just simply used ', then it just show 'tools', 'diameters', and that is not I want, I have think this for quite a long time already, I also change the item and diameter's type to variant, but all result same error

Upvote 0
This might be what you want.
Code:
MsgBox "Most frequently used tools is (" & tools & ") and size is (" & diameter & ") total used " & maximum & "

Upvote 0
What do these return:

Code:
 msgbox range("diameter").Count
msgbox range("diameter").text

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MhammadishaqKhan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back