Can I use a word or phrase as a delimiter?

ejpuck

Hello All,
I have a VERY long string of text copied from a web page. I'm only interested in certain relative data. Can the string be parsed or delimited such that I end up with three columns? One for The deceased's name, one for the executor, and one for the cause number?

The text to columns would work well if I could simply input a word or phrase to delimit by. Or maybe a formula that splits the text at certain keywords.

Here is an example of the text string (Note: I copied and pasted from my text editor, and the formatting came with it. This is just one long string of unbroken text when I paste it into Excel.)

Notice to Creditors of
THE ESTATE OF SARAH MASTERS , Deceased
Notice is hereby given that Letters Testamentary upon the Estate of Sarah Masters, Deceased were granted to the undersigned on the 14th of December, 2011 by the Probate Court No. 3 of Dallas County, Texas. All persons having claims against said estate are hereby required to present the same to Percy Wayne Filyaw, Independent Executor, within the time prescribed by law.
My address is
Percy Wayne Filyaw, Independent Executor, c/o Paula J. Miller, Attorney & Counselor at Law, 4925 Greenville Ave., Suite 200, Dallas, TX 75206
Executor of the Estate of Sarah Masters Deceased. CAUSE NO. PR-11-03731-3

1/13

NO. PR-11-4241-2
ESTATE OF MARY JANE RITTENBERRY, DECEASED IN THE PROBATE COURT NUMBER TWO OF DALLAS COUNTY, TEXAS
NOTICE TO CREDITORS OF THE ESTATE OF
MARY JANE
RITTENBERRY
Notice is hereby given that original Letters Testamentary for the Estate of MARY JANE RITTENBERRY, Deceased, were issued on January 3, 2012, in Cause No. PR-11-4241-2, pending in the Probate Court Number TWO of Dallas County, Texas, to the Independent Executor, JOHN RICHARD RITTENBERRY. The post office address of the Executor is 423 Morning Dove Dr., Duncanville, Dallas County, Texas. All persons having claims against this estate which is currently being administered are required to present them within the time and in the manner prescribed by law.
DATED this 9th day of January, 2012.
JOHN RICHARD RITTENBERRY
Independent Executor of the Estate of MARY JANE RITTENBERRY, Deceased

1/13

NOTICE TO ALL PERSONS HAVING CLAIMS AGAINST THE ESTATE OF MARGARET KOCH ANDERSON
NOTICE is hereby given that original Letters Testamentary upon the ESTATE OF MARGARET KOCH ANDERSON were issued to RICHARD STEPHEN ANDERSON, the undersigned, on the 9th day of January, 2012, in the proceeding indicated below which is still pending, and that he now holds such Letters.
All persons having claims against said Estate which is being administered in Dallas County, Texas, are hereby required to present same to RICHARD STEPHEN ANDERSON, at his address, which is:
c/o Cooper Blankenship
Blankenship, Wiland & O’Connor, P.C.
8111 Preston Road, Suite 950
Dallas, Texas 75225
before suits upon same are barred by the Statute of Limitations, before such estate is closed, and within the time prescribed by law.
DATED this 9th day of January, 2012.
RICHARD STEPHEN ANDERSON, Independent Executor of the Estate of MARGARET KOCH ANDERSON, Deceased; Cause No. PR-11-4277-3; in Probate Court No. 3 of Dallas County, Texas

1/13

CAUSE NO. 07-2003-P

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
Actually, I was looking to pick up the names after "Estate OF" and "Independent Exec" as well as the number following PR-

I know that's asking a lot, but I also know it can be done. Perhaps I need a macro to parse the data the way I need it, but I know nothing of how to write one and don't have the time to do it.

Upvote 0
You need 3 new columns but there is at least 3 Independent Executor.
Do you need them all or jsut one?
And copule of Estate of

Upvote 0
Ideally, when it's all said and done, I will have three columns: 1) Deceased's names; 2)Executor's names; and 3) Case numbers. And of course I'd like the rows to correspond so that row 1 would have the deceased's name, the appointed executor's name, and the case number. One row for each case.

You can see that in it's original form, there is a paragraph for each case with the pertinent info. Right now, my only recourse is to manually copy and paste each name and number into my spread sheet, and that takes forever.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jest

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back