Change cell color if formula is overwritten

sscornav

Board Regular
I have a basic spreadsheet that has a number of calculations. There are times when the calculations need to be overwritten with data input. I would like the cell to automatically change color if this occurs as a reminder that the cell was modified.

Prefer not to use VBA.

Only applies to certain columns on the spreadsheet.

I have a lot of flexibility on how to set this up, but I can't find a good solution for this.
Any help would be appreciated

Steve

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
Create a new Conditional Formatting rule for the cell. My cell is C5, where I have a formula.

The rule should be =NOT(ISFORMULA(C5)) , then choose a format. If the content of cell C5 is not a formula, the cell will be formatted with the desired format, which I chose to be a yellow fill.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If forgot to mention that I am using Excel 2010. I don't think this function appears until 2013. Any other way around this problem?? It seemed so simple...

Upvote 0
First create a name via the Name Manager and call it HasFormula that refers to=GET.CELL(48) .. Then select the cell and add the following conditionnal formatting formula : =Not(HasFormula) and choose the color you want.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks all. I would up putting a small piece of VBA code in. Although the get.cell seemed good, I couldn't get it to work one cell at a time. It kept highlighting all cells that had the formula, even though only one was overwritten.

Thanks!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Quiet_Nectarine_

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back