Choosing columns in Microsoft Query from Excel

Hanz77

Board Regular
I am using Microsoft Query within Excel (ver. 2003) to bring in certain data from several tables currently stored in Microsoft Access. Following is a quick walk through of the steps I am using.

From the Data menu, I am selecting “Import External Data” and then “New Database Query…”. Then when prompted to Choose Data Source, I am choosing “MS Access Database” and then I navigate to the Access Database containing my tables and queries.

Once I navigate to the database I am prompted to Choose Columns I want included in my query. When I click on the [+] next to some tables, I get a list of columns that I can add to my query. Ideally, this should happen when I select any of the tables from my database. The problem is, some of the tables do not list any available columns that I can add to my query. When I click on the [+], it changes to [-] with none of the columns listed. I am puzzled as to why some tables allow the option to be queried while similar tables do not offer the option.

As a test, I saved a copy of one of the tables that allow me to query against them as another table. Despite being an exact duplicate (with the exception of a slightly different table name), I am unable to query against the copied table. Through this test, I do not believe it is a table setting or security as both tables reside in the same database. I am able to query against one of the tables but not the other.

Has anyone come across this issue or know what may be causing this to happen?

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JJFabEngineering

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back