Closest match

Jon Jagd

Board Regular
Hi,

I need a function or macro that helps me in matching manufacturer names from incoming data files with all the values in an internal standard list with valid manufacturer names. After the matching it gives me the internal standard value that comes closest to the incoming value. As an example all the incoming values: Abbott Labs, ABBOTT and Abbott Laboratories A/S must be translated to the internal standard value ABBBOTT LABS. I'm envisaging a function similar to this:

=CLOSESTMATCHES(IncomingValue, standardlist)

Ex. I write the following function in cell C3:
=CLOSESTMATCHES(A2;B2:B8)

When the function finds a value in the standardlist that looks like the incoming value it writes the internal standard value in cell C3. If it doesn't find anything it writes f.ex NEW and if there are several matches it writes all the values, either separated by semicolon or in the following cells in the same row.

I don't know if there is a native function that will meet my requirements and it's not that I don't know how to write a custom function. My problem is that I don't know how approach the problem of comparing and matching the incoming values with standard values. I've been considdering the function:
SEARCH(find_text,within_text,start_num)
but I don't feel that it meets my requirements.

Thanks.

Jon

I am looking for same look up value. I have to search closest value. Stree Number and address. first characters are street number and after space or - street name. Street name is the one look for closest one. I would appreciate for the help. thanks. Example table. 6108 Pecen Valley lookup table is showing 6108 Pecan Valley Dr # 801 Thanks

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwdbActuary

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back