Code for mouse wheel in VBA

Colleen45

What VBA code do I use to use the mouse wheel on my own form, or is on one of the properties
Thank you

Hi Rory,
I would like to use your code but I'm not sure what to do in order to suit my need;
track the mouse wheel movements up and down in order to update a row counter I have in a cell of a sheet.

Instead of a userform I have an Excel 2016 Sheet.
I don't want to take complete control of the mouse, just get a parameter (boolean or whatever) which tells me if the wheel has been moved up or down and then update the cell row counter (3 rows per movement are the default I think) every time the wheel is moved and leave all the rest to Excel. Is it possible?

Thank you for your time Rory (or whoever can help).

Guido

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
Re: Code for mouse wheel to scroll Frame on a Userform in VBA

I believe it is much easier to have the scrolling code in a separate re-usable module. Otherwise you need to repeat the same code for all Forms that you want to hook.
Take a look at my repository https://github.com/cristianbuse/VBA-UserForm-MouseScroll. You only have to call one line of code from your Userfom and it also works with ComboBoxes, Textboxes, Frames, Multipages etc. Horizontally also. Enjoy!

Reactions: GTO
Upvote 0

Thanks Cristian!
Yours sounds like an interesting solution but unfortunately I haven't moved to 64bit yet. Sooner or later I'll change my 10y/o pc; that will be a 64 bit one. For now I have a good 32bit solution.
Have a nice day!
Guido

Upvote 0

Thanks Cristian!
Yours sounds like an interesting solution but unfortunately I haven't moved to 64bit yet. Sooner or later I'll change my 10y/o pc; that will be a 64 bit one. For now I have a good 32bit solution.
Have a nice day!
Guido

Hi Guido, my solution works on both 32 and 64 bits

Upvote 0

@Cristian Buse

I have just taken a quick look at your code (project) and I think is great ! I liked the idea of passing the scroll control to the parent container when reaching the scroll limit.

I haven't studied your code thoroughly but a quick test of the Scroll and Move events located in the Class module raised the following issue :

If you place a Msgbox inside the events, the scrolling stops working after first run... Try this for example:

Code:
Private Sub m_UserForm_Scroll(ByVal ActionX As MSForms.fmScrollAction, ByVal ActionY As MSForms.fmScrollAction, ByVal RequestDx As Single, ByVal RequestDy As Single, ByVal ActualDx As MSForms.ReturnSingle, ByVal ActualDy As MSForms.ReturnSingle)
    If ActionY = fmScrollActionFocusRequest Or ActionY = fmScrollActionControlRequest Then ActualDy = 0
    If ActionX = fmScrollActionFocusRequest Or ActionX = fmScrollActionControlRequest Then ActualDx = 0
[COLOR=#FF0000][B]    MsgBox "hello"[/B][/COLOR]
End Sub

Also, another thing that you may want to look at is the fact that scrolling a listbox control horizontally doesn't work .

Thanks very much for sharing

Last edited:
Upvote 0

@Jaafar Tribak

Good point with the MessageBox. It unkooks because the Userform is not active anymore. The messagebox is. This is a mechanism I've put in place to prevent crashes.
The easy solution would be bo hook again after the message box but you actually gave me an idea which I will implement in the following days.
by the way if you need a Scroll event you can place your own in the Userform. The one in the class has a very specific purpose and should be left as is.

Yes, scrolling a Listbox does not work. Yet. If you look in the ScrollX method, I've only implemented Frame, Form, MultiTab. This is on the TODO list.

Thanks for your feedback!

Upvote 0

@Jaafar Tribak

Again, thanks Jaafar! I went ahead and applied a fix so MessageBoxes now work. It was easier than I initially thought.

I believe I've missed a detail in my previous comment. The Vertical scroll works for most scrollable controls including Listboxes.
What I missed was to say that the Horizontal scroll gets a bit more complicated especially for TextBoxes and like you mentioned I actually ignored the Listbox entirely when it comes to horizontal scroll. As mentioned before, it's on my TODO list.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Thanks cristian.

Just one important thing : Your code uses a Windows hook so while the hook is installed, any unhandled error will crash the whole excel application !!

Also, I have noticed that the code doesn't work with Modeless userforms.

I like your code design very much but I thought I should mention these issues specially the crashing issue problem.

Regards.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0

@Jaafar Tribak
I need your help at this topic as you are expert at APIs

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SarahGiles

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back