Comparing 2 databases

rwallage

I have a file where I have two databases in seperate spreadsheets, consisting of a list family name, first name and title, originating from two different sources. Somehow, I want to find the identical rows of data. How can I do that best?

This will take a slightly different approach. Since you want to compare the two lists prior to merging them then I will layout the easiest method. There are three methods that come to mind; Countif formula method, Excel’s built in Consolidate method, and mine.

1. Copy the records from file #1 to a new sheet.
2. Copy the records from file #2 to the same sheet and past them directly below the first set of records.
3. Sort the records by the Family name.
4. Use this formula in D2, assuming you have no header, D3 if you are using a header and change the cell references to match …..
=if(a3=a2, “Dupe Record”, “Unique”)
5. Add “Unique” to your first record’s column, as this has no formula to fill cell info.
6. Copy Column D from the first record down and Paste Special, Values of the records in Column D, in place. This will allow you to sort on Col. D.
7. Sort Col. D ascending and all your duplicate records will appear at the top which then you can copy, paste back to your first list and have a complete unique list. Or of course copy this to a new sheet that keeps your environment clean and intact.

If this is not what you want please reply.

Doug

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
I am at the moment swamped with work (all urgent, duuh). This seems the simplest way (for me at least). I'll have a go later today.
Thanks!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peter Juhnke

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back