RockandGrohl

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all, getting this expected expression error, it's highlighting the IF part, though I don't know why:

Sub FinalEnqCopydown()
'
' Copydown Macro
'

'

If ActiveCell.Row < 3 Then
MsgBox "Select Last Row in Data"

Else

Application.ScreenUpdating = False
Application.DisplayAlerts = False
Application.EnableEvents = False
Application.Calculation = xlCalculationManual

Do Until Cells(ActiveCell.Row, "A") = ""
Cells(ActiveCell.Row, "V").Formula =IF(Q3="","",IF(IF(COUNTIF(Q4:$Q$195850,Q3)>0,"","Y")="Y",VLOOKUP(Q3,Q:T,4,0),""))
Cells(ActiveCell.Row, "V").Value = Cells(ActiveCell.Row, "V").Value
ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Activate

Loop

Application.ScreenUpdating = True
Application.DisplayAlerts = True
Application.EnableEvents = True
Application.Calculation = xlCalculationAutomatic

End If
End Sub

Thanks

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
Try this.
Code:
Cells(ActiveCell.Row, "V").Formula = "=IF(Q3="""","""",IF(IF(COUNTIF(Q4:$Q$195850,Q3)>0,"""",""Y"")=""Y"",VLOOKUP(Q3,Q:T,4,0),""""))"

Upvote 0
The whole formula needs to be entered between double-quotes.
The double-quotes in your formula are going to confuse it too.

I find when you have a tricky formula like this, a good way to get the VBA code that is to use the Macro Recorder and record yourself entering the formula into a cell on your worksheet.
Then stop the Macro Recorder, and look at the code you just recorded.

Upvote 0
Try this.
Code:
Cells(ActiveCell.Row, "V").Formula = "=IF(Q3="""","""",IF(IF(COUNTIF(Q4:$Q$195850,Q3)>0,"""",""Y"")=""Y"",VLOOKUP(Q3,Q:T,4,0),""""))"

That works, but I swear I tried wrapping the whole thing in quotes in the first place, can you explain if you changed anything else, and why?

Upvote 0
The whole formula needs to be entered between double-quotes.
The double-quotes in your formula are going to confuse it too.

I find when you have a tricky formula like this, a good way to get the VBA code that is to use the Macro Recorder and record yourself entering the formula into a cell on your worksheet.
Then stop the Macro Recorder, and look at the code you just recorded.

That's how I got where I was in the first place, then I copied the code to another macro button and changed the formula, keeping the formatting the same, and here I am :P

Upvote 0
As well as the formula being enclosed in quotes you need to 'double' up any quotes within the formula, so that's the other thing I changed.

Upvote 0
That's how I got where I was in the first place, then I copied the code to another macro button and changed the formula, keeping the formatting the same, and here I am :P
I think you misunderstood me.

You copied the formula directly from the workbook. That is NOT what I was saying to do.
I was saying turn on the Macro Recorder, and record yourself entering the formula into a cell on your workbook.
Then if you stop the Macro Recorder, and look at the code you just recorder, it will show you a way that you can enter it into VBA so that it will accept.

That code would look something like this:
Code:
Sub Macro1()
'
' Macro1 Macro
'

Range("V3").Select
    ActiveCell[COLOR=#ff0000].FormulaR1C1 = _[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]        "=IF(RC[-5]="""","""",IF(IF(COUNTIF(R[1]C[-5]:R195850C17,RC[-5])>0,"""",""Y"")=""Y"",VLOOKUP(RC[-5],C[-5]:C[-2],4,0),""""))"[/COLOR]

End Sub
The part in red is the part that you want.
Note that it looks a little different than Norie's code, as it uses R1C1 formula notation by default. Both work the same way, they are just presented a bit differently.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think you misunderstood me.

You copied the formula directly from the workbook. That is NOT what I was saying to do.
I was saying turn on the Macro Recorder, and record yourself entering the formula into a cell on your workbook.
Then if you stop the Macro Recorder, and look at the code you just recorder, it will show you a way that you can enter it into VBA so that it will accept.

That code would look something like this:
Code:
Sub Macro1()
'
' Macro1 Macro
'

Range("V3").Select
    ActiveCell[COLOR=#ff0000].FormulaR1C1 = _[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]        "=IF(RC[-5]="""","""",IF(IF(COUNTIF(R[1]C[-5]:R195850C17,RC[-5])>0,"""",""Y"")=""Y"",VLOOKUP(RC[-5],C[-5]:C[-2],4,0),""""))"[/COLOR]

End Sub
The part in red is the part that you want.
Note that it looks a little different than Norie's code, as it uses R1C1 formula notation by default. Both work the same way, they are just presented a bit differently.

I did misunderstand you, and then I did what you suggested prior to reading your post and it worked. It's currently churning through the lines as we speak.

As ever, I really appreciate the help and guidance on this forum - you guys are angels.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IslandofBDA

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back