Concantenated links to workbooks

Unicornus

Hi everyone, I tried a simple search on forums but no answer to my problem poped up. I got this situation:

Got circa 20 workbooks created as output form db sotware, so formatting is exactly the same in all of them. Each workbook conains multiple sheets. I Need output in single workbook, with certain data outsourced from different sheets and different workbooks. I know this could have been accomplished with vba scripting, but I'm not familiar with that and also other reason I chose to link the data between the workbooks, but here comes the problem:

The links were put together with concantenate function
=CONCATENATE("='D:\Documents\NAM\2014\inventory\[";C$1;".xls]";Source!$A2;"'!";Source!$D2;Source!$C2)
-------------------------------------file location---------------filename-----sheetname-----cell coordinates--------
This example is just for one sheet in the output workbook (other sheets have different and sometimes a little more complicated script) The command deliver correctly scripted link but the link does not function, it only activates itself upon click ino the formula bar (or hitting key "F2") and pressing "ENTER". Only then the values apear instead of the link script.

Of course it is not possible to manually "hit ENTER" upon twenty thousands cells. Does anyone have a solution for this i'd be really grateful for any sensible solution.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
Hi..

Indirect would work. Either pointing to the concatenate or indirect(concatenate())

Upvote 0
thx Steve for the reply, nonetheless i had to sovle the problem differently, the cells would not "load" data from closed workbooks, if they were opened previously it all worked.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BigPaws

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back