Conditional currency formating

Snessa

I'm developing a configuration tool for international use. I want the user to select the curreny in one central place, whereafter all fields will be formatted using the proper currency indicator ($ or USD, £ or GBP, DKK or kr. as examples).
I would prefer using Excel standard currency formater, but I can't figure out how to select that depending on once selected currency.

I have the tried using TEXT(ROUND(number<REF value to>;num_digits);CurrencyFormat<REF to formar currency>)
where CurrencyFormat could be: #.##0 € as an example.
Doing so, the result is a text string, which I can do calculation on.

I much more would refer to the cell as a number and apply standard Format Cells -> Currency and Symbol. Doing this, the cell still is a number, on which I can do calculation. But I can't figure out how to select the formating currency sysmbol based on a cell value, having a value from a predefined table of currencies (DKK, EUR, GBP, NOK, SEK, USD)

Any clever suggestion to solve my problem would be appreciated.

Best regards

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
Hi

the easiest way to do this would be to apply a style to all the cells you want to format (it's in Format>Styles in xl2003 and below). You can use a worksheet_change event to change the curreny character in the particular style based on the user changing a single cell - this will cascade to all cellin the sheet that use this style. This way you can maintain the cells as numeric values.

Sound like something you can work with?

Upvote 0
If you are using 2007 or later you can apply number formats via conditional formatting.

Upvote 0
I am trying to make this work for a purchase order form with no success. I have tried concatenate and although this puts the currency symbol onto each line cost it messes up the total SUM result by giving a VALUE# error. I am using Excel 2003.
Richard, I have looked styles but cannot see how to use them. I am given 6 options (Normal, percent, 2 x comma and 2 x currency). I can modify, delete or merge but not add a style. And how is the worksheet_change event used or is this a VBA procedure?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davelevnt

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back