Conditional Expression For Radio Button

legalhustler

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have two controls in my form and each has a radio button. In control 1 the user selects "No", then I want control 2 to automatically select "No" for the radio button. If the user selects "Yes" in control 1 then I want control 2 to do nothing and have the user the option to pick "Yes" or "No"

Will I have to build IIF statement in control 2 in the Validation Rule property? Or something in the Event properties?

Last edited:
You are missing a bunch of "End Sub" statements. Note that you cannot next Subs inside of other Subs. You need to have an "End Sub" at the end of each Sub, before you start the next Sub.

I really am not sure what you are trying to do with [Text101]. I assume that it is some Text box outside of your Option Groups? In any event, you should be able to combine the two Frame103_AfterUpdate Event procedures like this:
Code:
Private Sub Frame103_AfterUpdate()

Select Case Me![Frame103]
        Case 1
            Me![Text101] = "Y"
        Case 2
            Me![Text101] = "N"
            Me.Frame112 = 2
            Me.Frame112.Locked = True
        Case 3
            Me![Text101] = "TBD"
    End Select

End Sub

Yeah the text box is outside my Option Groups. The text box points to the specific field in my Table (under the control source) and is set to invisible so it does not show on my Form. Do you think the textbox is necessary? Can I use the Option Groups control source to point to the field in my Table?

Your code worked pretty good, except for one thing:

If the user accidently selects "No" in Frame103 then reselects "Yes" or "TBD", Frame112 is still locked on "No". Frame112 should be unlocked if "Yes" or "TBD" is reselected in Frame103.

Thanks.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
Take a close look at the code above. Notice the line that is locking Frame112 when No is selected.
Simply add a line just like that under the Yes selection that unlocks Frame112 (Locked=False instead of True).

Upvote 0
Take a close look at the code above. Notice the line that is locking Frame112 when No is selected.
Simply add a line just like that under the Yes selection that unlocks Frame112 (Locked=False instead of True).

Thanks I got it. However, If "Yes" or "TBD" is selected in Frame103 then user should not be able to select "No" in in Frame112. Here is my updated code:

Code:
        Case 1
            Me![Text101] = "Y"
            Me.Frame112.Locked = False
        Case 2
            Me![Text101] = "N"
            Me.Frame112 = 2
        Case 3
            Me![Text101] = "TBD"
    End Select
End Sub

Upvote 0
Good job! I thought if you looked at the code, you would pick up on the methodology and figure out how to adjust it for those other options.

Upvote 0
Good job! I thought if you looked at the code, you would pick up on the methodology and figure out how to adjust it for those other options.

I can't seem to figure how to be able to select "TBD" in Case 1 and Case 3 (see below). I was able to only select only "Yes". How do I say or/and in the VBA code?

Code:
        Case 1
            Me![Text101] = "Y"
            Me.Frame112 = 1

Case 2
            Me![Text101] = "N"
            Me.Frame112 = 2
        Case 3
            Me![Text101] = "TBD"
            Me.Frame112 = 1

End Select
End Sub

Upvote 0
I can't seem to figure how to be able to select "TBD" in Case 1 and Case 3 (see below). I was able to only select only "Yes". How do I say or/and in the VBA code?

Code:
        Case 1
            Me![Text101] = "Y"
            Me.Frame112 = 1

Case 2
            Me![Text101] = "N"
            Me.Frame112 = 2
        Case 3
            Me![Text101] = "TBD"
            Me.Frame112 = 1

End Select
End Sub

Also tried the below code, but I was able to select all three options in Frame112, not just "Yes" and "TBD" as I need.

Code:
        Case 1
            Me![Text101] = "Y"
            Me.Frame112 = 1
            Me.Frame112 = 2
            Me.Frame112 = 3
        Case 2
            Me![Text101] = "N"
            Me.Frame112 = 2
        Case 3
            Me![Text101] = "TBD"
            Me.Frame112 = 1
            Me.Frame112 = 2
            Me.Frame112 = 3

End Select
End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Also if the user selects "Yes" or "TBD" in Frame103, Frame112 should not show a selection (a checkmark). Frame112 should not allow a "No" to be selected AFTER "Yes" or "TBD" is selected in Frame103.

Upvote 0
First, it is important to understand how a SELECT CASE statement works? It is sort of like an expanded IF ... THEN statement (see MS Access: Case Statement).

Code:
means get the value that Frame103 is equal to (or another way of saying that is what is selected for that Option Group?) Each selection has a numeric value to it, 1="Yes", 2="No", 3="Yes". You see this when you set up the Option Group using the Wizard
Code:
   Case 1
means that if Frame103 equals 1 (that is, "Yes" is selected), then perform the following actions found underneath it.
Code:
        Me.Frame112=1
is telling it to select Option 1 ("Yes") from Frame112. If you want "TBD" to be selected in Frame112, you would set it equal to 3.

Under each "Case" line, you should only have one "Me.Frame112..." line and one"Me.Frame112.Locked..." line. If you have multiple ones (like in your last code, each successive one is just overwriting the previous (so the previous ones serve no purpose then).

If you want Frame112 to be set to "TBS" and Frame112 to be locked when "Yes" is selected from Frame103, that block would just look like:
Code:
    Case 1
        Me![Text101]="Y"
        Me.Frame112=3
        Me.Frame112.Locked=True
and that is it, nothing else underneath Case 1.

Does that make sense? It is important to understand how all this works, so you can make the necessary adjustments.

Upvote 0
First, it is important to understand how a SELECT CASE statement works? It is sort of like an expanded IF ... THEN statement (see MS Access: Case Statement).

Code:
means get the value that Frame103 is equal to (or another way of saying that is what is selected for that Option Group?) Each selection has a numeric value to it, 1="Yes", 2="No", 3="Yes". You see this when you set up the Option Group using the Wizard
Code:
   Case 1
means that if Frame103 equals 1 (that is, "Yes" is selected), then perform the following actions found underneath it.
Code:
        Me.Frame112=1
is telling it to select Option 1 ("Yes") from Frame112. If you want "TBD" to be selected in Frame112, you would set it equal to 3.

Under each "Case" line, you should only have one "Me.Frame112..." line and one"Me.Frame112.Locked..." line. If you have multiple ones (like in your last code, each successive one is just overwriting the previous (so the previous ones serve no purpose then).

If you want Frame112 to be set to "TBS" and Frame112 to be locked when "Yes" is selected from Frame103, that block would just look like:
Code:
    Case 1
        Me![Text101]="Y"
        Me.Frame112=3
        Me.Frame112.Locked=True
and that is it, nothing else underneath Case 1.

Does that make sense? It is important to understand how all this works, so you can make the necessary adjustments.

Yeah makes sense. Thanks for the link (looks like alot of good info).

The question is if a user selects "Yes" or "TBD" in Frame103 , how do I give them the option to only select between "Yes" and "TBD" in Frame112? Another way of saying it, they should not have the option to select "No" in Frame112. In addition, when the user selects "Yes" or "TBD" in Frame103, I do not want Frame112 to display a checkmark/bubble. This means that the user cannot pick "No" if they click on it in Frame112. Read this slowly and hopefully it makes sense.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My previous post was more about post #16 (I hadn't seen post #17 when I posted it). The unnecessary redundancy in the code is what caught my eye there, so that is what I was focusing on before moving forward (making sure we get the initial stuff straight before going to new stuff).

The question is if a user selects "Yes" or "<acronym title="To be discussed" style="border-width: 0px 0px 1px; border-bottom-style: dotted; border-bottom-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); cursor: help; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250);">TBD</acronym>" in Frame103 , how do I give them the option to only select between "Yes" and "<acronym title="To be discussed" style="border-width: 0px 0px 1px; border-bottom-style: dotted; border-bottom-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); cursor: help; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250);">TBD</acronym>" in Frame112?
OK, now we are getting in to some fun stuff! So basically, you want to Disable the "No" option in Frame112 if they select "Yes" or "TBD" in Frame103. So, first thing is go into Design View, and click on the "No" radio button in Frame112 to see what it is named. If you haven't changed it, then the name will start with "Option". So it might be something like Option16.

So, in our code under both Case 1 and Case 3, you will want to add the following line:
Code:
Me.Option16.Enabled = False
You will probably also want to add code to Case 2 that says:
Code:
Me.Option16.Enabled = True
if you want "No" re-enabled again if they select "No" in Frame103.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kon123

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back