Conditional format based on percentage of a value

Saarek

My spreadsheet has two financial columns. Column A has a financial target in £'s, column B has the amount in £'s that was actually brought into the business.

I want to conditionally format column B to show the colour red if less than 80% of the target value is achieved, amber if 80-99% is achieved and green if 100% or more is achieved.

I know that this can be done with a formula based conditional format with three rules, however the formulas that I have tried have all resulted in the entire column being highlighted in just one colour.

The spreadsheet is an excel 2010 spreadsheet.

Thank you for your help.

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
Thanks Norie, it is far closer now! Cells with a value of £0 under actual are not going red despite there being a target amount in place.

Do you know how to fix that?

Sorry ... been away - good to see Norie is helping though :) I was a bit brief earlier I meant to remove the $ in front of the numberic part of the cell reference..

Anyway ..... the problem with £0 could be because you have a divide by zero error which isn't triggering the formatting so I would make the red formula

=or(e2=0, h2/e2<0.8)

Not sure why some aren't working .... is the range that the conditional formats cover complete? Try putting the same data into a row that is already working.

Upvote 0
Sorry ... been away - good to see Norie is helping though :) I was a bit brief earlier I meant to remove the $ in front of the numberic part of the cell reference..

Anyway ..... the problem with £0 could be because you have a divide by zero error which isn't triggering the formatting so I would make the red formula

=or(e2=0, h2/e2<0.8)

Not sure why some aren't working .... is the range that the conditional formats cover complete? Try putting the same data into a row that is already working.

Thanks WaterGypsy, I'll give your method a try as it may prove more accurate than my workaround. All working now.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HypnoFant

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back