Conditional formatting based off range of times in another cell

christag

I am looking for a way to automatically fill the cell color of one cell based on a range of times represented in another cell.

So for example, I have column B which lists employee's schedules in the format of 8-4, 9-5, etc. These values are being referenced from another worksheet that contains the master schedule. Next I have times listed in row 6 in the format of 8, 9, 10, etc. What I would like to have happen is if an employee is scheduled to work 12-3, I want the 12, 1, 2 and 3 cells in their respective row to highlight red.

Appreciate any help! TIA.

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
can you upload a sample

Please upload a small clean sample of your data / workbook (not a picture) to the forum, Make sure you have removed any private information, remember this is a public forum and so available to anyone
We would like to see an example of your data and also a manual mock up of the expected results you want to achieve.

use dropbox or onedrive

otherwise I'm not sure i fully understand how the data is structured or if its actually real times or just text , that needs to be converted

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I attached a sample of what it looks like now, and what I'd like as the result. Like I mentioned in my original post, the info in column B is being referenced from another worksheet (the master schedule for the week). Right now the times an employee works are being entered as 8-4 or 9-5 as text, not as a time. I can change that on the master schedule worksheet if that'll effect this outcome. Thanks for your help!

can you upload a sample

Please upload a small clean sample of your data / workbook (not a picture) to the forum, Make sure you have removed any private information, remember this is a public forum and so available to anyone
We would like to see an example of your data and also a manual mock up of the expected results you want to achieve.

use dropbox or onedrive

otherwise I'm not sure i fully understand how the data is structured or if its actually real times or just text , that needs to be converted

Upvote 0
because you are using a 12hr time frame its going to be difficult to tell if the morning or afternoon
say a shift started 6-10 - is that 10 in the morning or 22 in the evening - excel does not know

can you use 24hr format at all ?

Upvote 0
Hi Wayne -

Yes, I can definitely change the formatting of the time.

because you are using a 12hr time frame its going to be difficult to tell if the morning or afternoon
say a shift started 6-10 - is that 10 in the morning or 22 in the evening - excel does not know

can you use 24hr format at all ?

Upvote 0
This is exactly what I want! Except, that I can't replicate it on my actual worksheet...

I changed my times to the 8-16:00 format. I then copied your formula, altering it so that it was referencing the correct cells. I added a new conditional formatting rule using this:

=AND((LEFT($B7,FIND("-",$B7,1)-1))*1<=D$4,(RIGHT($B7,LEN($B7)-FIND("-",$B7,1)))*1>=D$4)

I selected the color I wanted it to format the cells to be and applied it to the section that I wanted, but it doesn't change anything. I've checked and all of my cells are formatted in the same pattern as the ones in your example (text, general, etc.) Not sure where I went wrong...

Appreciate your help so much, this is going to make my life so much easier once I get it!!

i have change the sheet
the times are now entered in row 3 as times in 24hr format
and the shifts are also entered in 24hr text format ie 8-16 for 8am to 4pm

then i have used a rule for cond format
=AND((LEFT($B5,FIND("-",$B5,1)-1))*1<=D$3, (RIGHT($B5,LEN($B5)-FIND("-",$B5,1)))*1>=D$3)

see attached

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5lklzkn3qoln59c/Schedule Sample etaf.xls?dl=0

Upvote 0
so the times are still 2 digits

8-16
NOT
8-16:00

and the headings for the times are just numbers - NOT time

so
7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 etc as a number
NOT time

see if that helps

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greggy

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back