Conditional Formatting based on VLOOKUP

rwcg2d

I need help conditionally formatting cells based upon the text found in a VLOOKUP -

I am creating a calendar that references background data to automatically populate events based on their dates. We are also looking to color the events based upon different criteria (i.e. different teams, different invitees, different countries, etc.)

I am looking to connect Sheet 1 & Sheet 2, in order to conditionally format the cells within Sheet 2 with the colors listed in Sheet 1 to the corresponding Event. NOTE: Event colors need to be variable as Event 1 may be Teal for one view, but Orange for another.

Please help :)

Sheet 1

Event 1Teal
Event 2Blue
Event 3Red

<colgroup><col span="2"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Sheet 2

May
Monday, April 30, 2018Tuesday, May 1, 2018Wednesday, May 2, 2018Thursday, May 3, 2018Friday, May 4, 2018
Event 1 Event 2 Event 3
Monday, May 7, 2018Tuesday, May 8, 2018Wednesday, May 9, 2018Thursday, May 10, 2018Friday, May 11, 2018
Event 4 Event 6Event 7
Event 5 Event 7

<colgroup><col><col><col><col><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
I think the easiest way would be to select all cells on Worksheet 2 and create a conditional formatting rule that correlates the appropriate color to the event on worksheet 1. This way if you change the event name on sheet 1 the appropriate color is still associated with that value on sheet 2.

Step 1 - Select All on Sheet 1
Step 2 - Select Conditional Formatting under Home > Styles
Step 3 - Use a Formula to Determine Which Cells to Format
Step 4 - Select the Event Name on Page 1 to populate the formula under Edit Rule Description (i.e. =Sheet1!$A$1)
Step 5 - Choose the Color you want associated with that event
Step 6 - Repeat for All colors

Upvote 0
The issue with this is that we need the colors to change based upon different criteria, not just the event name. For example, Event 1 may be Teal when Team 1 looks at their calendar, but Orange when Country 1 looks at it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lachbee

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back