Conditional Formatting Positive & Negative Number

Data123

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi I am looking for a way to color positive numbers green and negative numbers red, but as the value becomes greater for green or less for red so does the intensity of the color. Also, I would like to copy this format for other columns and those + and - numbers will range greatly between columns (see below). Lastly, is there a way to choose the min and max green and red for the range of color? Thanks!

Column 1

Column 2

Zero could be colored white.

Last edited:
Thanks dreid, for the detailed explanation! I used conditional formatting and for some reason it colored cell one that I named. See attached pic. What is cell one called when you name/title the column? I ask b/c I tried to Google it, but did not know what to call it. Back to the issue of the colored background. I have verified the fill color is white. I have deleted the cell and it goes back to white then colored again after typing the "One Wk % Chg". I have also cleared the cell with the same result. How do I force it to stay with a white background please?

Lastly, if I want to copy the conditional formatting for a column to use the same customized format for other columns is there a way to do this please?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
Thanks dreid, for the detailed explanation! I used conditional formatting and for some reason it colored cell one that I named. See attached pic. What is cell one called when you name/title the column? I ask b/c I tried to Google it, but did not know what to call it. Back to the issue of the colored background. I have verified the fill color is white. I have deleted the cell and it goes back to white then colored again after typing the "One Wk % Chg". I have also cleared the cell with the same result. How do I force it to stay with a white background please?

Lastly, if I want to copy the conditional formatting for a column to use the same customized format for other columns is there a way to do this please?
The first row is called a header row if you have names for your columns. Can you show the exact formulas you entered for the CF rules? A screenshot will suffice. And yes, you can copy CF rules and change the range they apply to relatively easily in the Conditional Formatting Rules Manager.
1708625809180.png

Upvote 0
The first row is called a header row if you have names for your columns. Can you show the exact formulas you entered for the CF rules? A screenshot will suffice. And yes, you can copy CF rules and change the range they apply to relatively easily in the Conditional Formatting Rules Manager.
View attachment 107321
I forgot to add the screenshot of the colored background sorry. Here it is.

Attachments

• header issue.JPG
    header issue.JPG
    8.8 KB · Views: 5
Upvote 0
View attachment 107321
Thank you! I got it. I duplicated the rules as you showed me and then cleared the issue column then replied the rule. May I ask you another question? I would like to sort a column and expand it to all the other columns, but I have a column with holidays (dates) listed. Several of my formulas will exclude those dates purposely, by listing the cell numbers by location. When I try to sort the column and expand the sort it moves the holiday dates all over and scrambling them to many cells. Is there a way hide the holiday dates column away from the spreadsheet, but still exclude them in necessary formulas?

Upvote 0
Thank you! I got it. I duplicated the rules as you showed me and then cleared the issue column then replied the rule. May I ask you another question? I would like to sort a column and expand it to all the other columns, but I have a column with holidays (dates) listed. Several of my formulas will exclude those dates purposely, by listing the cell numbers by location. When I try to sort the column and expand the sort it moves the holiday dates all over and scrambling them to many cells. Is there a way hide the holiday dates column away from the spreadsheet, but still exclude them in necessary formulas?
You're welcome, and glad you got it sorted. Since this is a new and completely unrelated question, you should make a new thread. I believe that is quite doable, but I am not experienced in some of the date formulas to know straight off.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ripvw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back