Convert to Proper Case with Exceptions

Capt_Ron

I have found plenty of code to convert text in a range from UPPERCASE to Proper Case but I want to be able to exclude from the conversion any text that matches text found in a list on another worksheet (USA, TX, PD, UPS, a, an, at, in , on, etc.).

Can this be done referencing the list as a named range or would it be best to simply refer to the list of words by Sheet.Range?

Anyone have an example I could follow?

Ron

BTW, I know cell A10 is not what is normally referred to as Camel Case, just demonstrating the code. :)

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
Hi Peter,

1- With regards, to #NAME?, it dealt with excel trust issues regarding macros and vba.
2- With regards to the latest coding, all I can say is FANTASTIC. Worked better than my expectations.

Thanks again and regards,
Donald

Upvote 0
2- With regards to the latest coding, all I can say is FANTASTIC. Worked better than my expectations.
Question... did Peter's code work as you expected for cell A4 in the example text he posted? I ask because the original data had an asterisk after the word "PART" and his process text eliminated that asterisk.

If you don't need the immediacy of a formula, there is a relatively simple macro available that will do what you want (it preserves the asterisk I mentioned above)...
Code:
Sub MakeProperExceptForList()
  Dim X As Long, LastRow As Long, List As Variant
  LastRow = Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
  List = Range("D1", Cells(Rows.Count, "D").End(xlUp))
  Range("B1:B" & LastRow) = Evaluate("IF(LEN(A1:A" & LastRow & "),PROPER(A1:A" & LastRow & "))")
  With Range("B1:B" & LastRow)
    For X = 1 To UBound(List)
      .Replace List(X, 1), List(X, 1), xlPart, , False
    Next
  End With
End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi Peter,

1- With regards, to #NAME?, it dealt with excel trust issues regarding macros and vba.

Thanks again and regards,
Donald
1. Ah, thanks for that explanation.
2. Glad to hear it worked as you wanted. :)

Upvote 0
Hi Rick,

It actually produced the following:
Access To Capital – part*II: Securing The Money Minority Businesses Need To Grow

That would be a rare, if not mistaken, user input. Would not even know what would be the proper display since it has no meaning. But that was a good catch.

Thanks and regards.

Upvote 0
Question... did Peter's code work as you expected for cell A4 in the example text he posted? I ask because the original data had an asterisk after the word "PART" ..
The original data (post #11) actually had a CHAR(160) in that spot. The asterisk has appeared just in my post - through use of Excel jeanie I think.

Upvote 0
It's a curiosity to me that vBulletin substitutes asterisks for NBS's. I wonder if there is some rationale, or it's just a legacy thing.

Upvote 0
Peter,

Has anyone attempted to load these macro enabled workbooks onto Excel 2011 for Mac? The file loads but not the UDF.

Regards,
Donald

Upvote 0
Peter,

Has anyone attempted to load these macro enabled workbooks onto Excel 2011 for Mac? The file loads but not the UDF.

Regards,
Donald
I'm sorry, I have no experience with Macs so I cannot provide any information about that.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cindykay

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back