Count duplicate rows and produce count #

CarolynR

I have a spreadsheet of over 15,000 lines of student information, sorted by student number. I want to count the number of rows which have a duplicate student number, up to 15 duplicates in a row, and show the total number of duplicates in a Separate Column. I.e.

Column 1 Column 2
Row 1 - 200101 3
Row 2 - 200101
Row 3 - 200101
Row 4 - 200102 2
Row 5 - 200102
Row 6 - 200103 1

I've been trying to use a Countif formula, but I found I had to use so many ANDs and ORs that the formula became too long. I don't know how to use programming code, only formulas in Excel. Is there an easier solution using some type of SUMPRODUCT code?

That's because you're still looking at column A, if you are counting duplicates of ID, change the range in the formula:

=COUNTIF($E$2:E2,E2)
Copy down.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
That's because you're still looking at column A, if you are counting duplicates of ID, change the range in the formula:

=COUNTIF($E$2:E2,E2)
Copy down.

Thanks for the quick reply. That's not it. My formula is

=IF(COUNTIF($J$2:J2,J2)=1,COUNTIF(J:J,J2),"")

There are titles in the first row and ID is in column J (I hid a few columns when posting) and I dragged down.

Could it be ID is too large so it only compares the first few values or something. I created ID using the & operator and several fields including a date field and a number field. Also I think ID is stored as text but I tried converting to nos using "+0" and that didn't work either

Upvote 0
For your problem, try this instead:

=IF(SUMPRODUCT(--($J$1:J1=J1))=1,SUMPRODUCT(--(J:J=J1)),"")

Copy down.

If you are using a version of Excel prior to XL2007, you will need to specify an exact range in the second SUMPRODUCT instead of J:J (any range less than or equal to 65535 rows)

I think the problem is that Excel is trying to interpret that as a number and it is too big for Excel to handle in COUNTIF.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the quick reply. That's not it. My formula is

=IF(COUNTIF($J$2:J2,J2)=1,COUNTIF(J:J,J2),"")

There are titles in the first row and ID is in column J (I hid a few columns when posting) and I dragged down.

Could it be ID is too large so it only compares the first few values or something. I created ID using the & operator and several fields including a date field and a number field. Also I think ID is stored as text but I tried converting to nos using "+0" and that didn't work either

I researched it and the issue seems to be 15 digits of precision. Excel treats number stores as a text as a number only upto 15 digits of precision.

For reference I solved it by appending an "a" to all the digits so that it would be really treated as text. I think a pivot would work too. Thanks for the help.

Upvote 0
For your problem, try this instead: =IF(SUMPRODUCT(--($J$1:J1=J1))=1,SUMPRODUCT(--(J:J=J1)),"") Copy down. If you are using a version of Excel prior to XL2007, you will need to specify an exact range in the second SUMPRODUCT instead of J:J (any range less than or equal to 65535 rows) I think the problem is that Excel is trying to interpret that as a number and it is too big for Excel to handle in COUNTIF.
Thanks! On a deadline now but will dissect and try this later. Again appreciate the quick responses.

Upvote 0
AB C
55 = 3
31 = 2

<tbody>
</tbody>

I like your solution, but for me it only takes care of half of the solution.

Is there a way to also display the item and count in another location of the spreadsheet? Above is an example:

Now in Column C1,C2,C3 I would like to put a formula that first identifies the name of the duplicate (in this case "5") followed by "=3" which indicates the quantity of that particular duplicate. The reason for C1,C2, and C3 is I usually have up to three duplicates.

I am trying to avoid using array formulas or creating a function, but if there is no other way I am willing to try.

Thanks in advance.

Tyron

COUNTIF should work:

Assuming your data starting in A1:

=IF(COUNTIF($A$1:A1,A1)=1,COUNTIF(A:A,A1),"")

Copy down.

Sheet2

*AB
2200101*
3200101*
5200102*

<tbody>
</tbody>

Spreadsheet Formulas
CellFormula
B1=IF(COUNTIF($A$1:A1,A1)=1,COUNTIF(A:A,A1),"")

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel tables to the web >> http://www.excel-jeanie-html.de/index.php?f=1" target="_blank"> Excel Jeanie HTML 4

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hey Guys,

After browsing through the site and doing a bit of newbie reading I found that I left out some pertinent information.

I am using Windows 7 and Excel 2013. Sorry about that.

Let me know if I have forgotten anything else.

later

Ty

Upvote 0
dear all,

on the same idea I want to find the duplicates on the same rows, in detail I have two row (with numbers) and I want to count the similar values on the same row.
the easy way will be to put in another column a IF condition to return 1 if the values are similar and to sum it but I don't want to use another column.
Can you help me with a formula?
A B
1 1 identical
2 1
1 2
3 3 identical

answer will be 2

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sebas8956

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back