Counting and summing problem

Saleena

Hello,

This is where I come when I can't get my head wrapped around an Excel problem. Y'all are the greatest. Thanks!

Ok, I've got this report I'm working on. The format is set so there isn't any feasible way to split the information that's in a single column into multiple columns. Now I need to do the summary data for the report. For each entry in the report, in Column B the information is stacked. First row (Col B) has "Center Name", second row (Col B) has "County", third row (Col B) has "Slots A" (formatted like ###, followed by 3 text characters), fourth row has "Slots B" (formatted like ###, followed by 4 text characters), fifth row has "Staff" (formatted like ###, followed by 6 text characters), sixth row is blank. Then it starts over again. The total number of entries in the report is unknown and dynamic.

I need to count the number of different counties and total "Slots A", "Slots B", and "Staff". I don't have any idea of an efficient way to code this. Can y'all help me out?

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
Thanks for the link. Also, I forgot to say that this is Excel 2003. Sample sheet is below:

Excel Workbook
ABCDEF
8Impact Summary:Counties:Centers:
9HS Slots:EHS Slots:Staff:
11Grantee Name, Address & Contact InformationCenter Name, County, #s ImpactedCenter Status & Projected Reopen DateDamage DetailsCost EstimateComments
12Grantee NameEast YMCAUnknown at first report$1,500.00Likely to be more costly; will update information as more is available.
13Address 1MontgomeryClosed:
14Address 260 HS2/12/2010
15City, State Zip0 EHSReopen:
16Contact Name7 Staff2/16/2010
17Contact Email
18Contact PhoneDean Elementary SchoolRoof blown off$30,000.00N/A
19MontgomeryClosed:
2020 HS2/12/2010
210 EHSReopen:
223 Staff3/12/2010

Again, I need to count the number of counties and add the total HS slots, the total EHS slots and the total staff.

Upvote 0
Oh...I also need to count the number of centers, but if I can get one of those adds to work right, I'm sure I can translate it to the others.

Upvote 0
Saleena,

See my Private Message to you (top right hand corner of MrExcel, Welcome, Saleena., "Private Messages:".

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lachbee

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back