Counting Consecutive Texts

nicofernandez00

Hello,

I really need help figuring out the formula for an assignment. On my spreadsheet, I have the monthly status of projects in action. From cells H28-S28, the cells are labeled either "on track", "off-track", "at risk" and "completed". I want to count the amount of consecutive times the projects were labeled "off-track" or "at risk" consecutively.

For instance:

On Track
On Track
On Track
On Track
On Track
At Risk
At Risk
At Risk
At Risk
Off Track
Off track
Off Track

<TBODY>
</TBODY>
The answer here would be 7 because "at risk" and "off track" were the consecutive statuses for seven months straight.

Please help!

Re: Counting Consecutive Text Values

Sure.

AT RISK AT RISK AT RISK OFF TRACK ON TRACK ON TRACK ON TRACK ON TRACK ON TRACK ON TRACK ON TRACK ON TRACK=4
AT RISK AT RISK AT RISK AT RISK ON TRACK ON TRACK ON TRACK ON TRACK ON TRACK ON TRACK ON TRACK ON TRACK=0
AT RISK AT RISK AT RISK ON TRACK ON TRACK ON TRACK ON OFF TRACK TRACK ON TRACK ON TRACK ON TRACK ON TRACK=0
AT RISK AT RISK AT RISK OFF TRACK OFF TRACK ON TRACK ON TRACK ON TRACK ON TRACK ON TRACK ON TRACK ON TRACK=5
OFF TRACK OFF TRACK OFF TRACK ON TRACK ON TRACK ON TRACK ON TRACK ON TRACK ON AT RISK AT RISK ON TRACK ON TRACK=0

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Last used cell?
Press Ctrl+End to move to what Excel thinks is the last used cell.

Interesting. You've only given examples in which there is precisely one such occurrence of a consecutive string? Will that always be the case?

I notice that you never replied to Domenic's query along the same lines back in post #12?

Regards

Upvote 0

Also, in all your examples, where both AT RISK and OFF TRACK occur in a consecutive string, they are never interwoven, and what's more the string of AT RISKs always precedes the string of OFF TRACKs.

So, for example, you have given no examples such as:

AT RISK OFF TRACK AT RISK
OFF TRACK OFF TRACK AT RISK AT RISK

Can you confirm whether this also is always the case?

Regards

Upvote 0

Interesting. You've only given examples in which there is precisely one such occurrence of a consecutive string? Will that always be the case?

I notice that you never replied to Domenic's query along the same lines back in post #12?

Regards

There are no such occurrences on my spreadsheet. However, that is a very interesting case. The formula gave me a result of 4.

Upvote 0

Also, in all your examples, where both AT RISK and OFF TRACK occur in a consecutive string, they are never interwoven, and what's more the string of AT RISKs always precedes the string of OFF TRACKs.

So, for example, you have given no examples such as:

AT RISK OFF TRACK AT RISK
OFF TRACK OFF TRACK AT RISK AT RISK

Can you confirm whether this also is always the case?

Regards

There are instances where they are interwoven. Based of your examples, the results would be 3 and 4, respectively.

Upvote 0

Apologies. I was hoping that out of those half a dozen lines I requested you'd be able to give a comprehensive covering of different types of possible strings.

Instead they're all pretty much of the same type, as I mentioned, so I'm still unsure as to where each of these categories can occur, in which order, and next to which other categories.

Regards

Upvote 0

Apologies. I was hoping that out of those half a dozen lines I requested you'd be able to give a comprehensive covering of different types of possible strings.

Instead they're all pretty much of the same type, as I mentioned, so I'm still unsure as to where each of these categories can occur, in which order, and next to which other categories.

Regards

The formula works for when AT RISK and OFF TRACK are consecutive which is what I needed. However, say I have a row full of 8 "ON TRACK" and 4 "AT RISK"... when the formula is applied the result should be zero because we are only looking for when AT RISK and OFF-TRACK are next to one another. We do not want when at risk is independently consecutive with other at risk. The same goes for off-track. I am really sorry this can get confusing. I really appreciate your help.

Upvote 0

Try This

=IFERROR(IF(OR(INDEX(H28:R28,1,MATCH("Off Track",I28:S28,0))="At Risk",INDEX(H28:R28,1,MATCH("At Risk",I28:S28,0))="Off Track"),MAX(FREQUENCY(IF(SUBSTITUTE(PROPER(H28:S28),"Off Track","At Risk")="At Risk",COLUMN(H28:S28)),IF(SUBSTITUTE(PROPER(H28:S28),"Off Track","At Risk")<>"At Risk",COLUMN(H28:S28)))),0),0)

Confirm with Ctrl+Shift+Enter

Drag Down

Upvote 0

try this

=iferror(if(or(index(h28:r28,1,match("off track",i28:s28,0))="at risk",index(h28:r28,1,match("at risk",i28:s28,0))="off track"),max(frequency(if(substitute(proper(h28:s28),"off track","at risk")="at risk",column(h28:s28)),if(substitute(proper(h28:s28),"off track","at risk")<>"at risk",column(h28:s28)))),0),0)

confirm with ctrl+shift+enter

drag down

this worked!!! Thank you all a ton!! Great help!!!

Upvote 0

The formula works for when AT RISK and OFF TRACK are consecutive which is what I needed. However, say I have a row full of 8 "ON TRACK" and 4 "AT RISK"... when the formula is applied the result should be zero because we are only looking for when AT RISK and OFF-TRACK are next to one another. We do not want when at risk is independently consecutive with other at risk. The same goes for off-track. I am really sorry this can get confusing. I really appreciate your help.

So let me give you my interpretation as a series of logical steps and if you could kindly tell me if this would hold in all cases:

1) Examine all pairs of consecutive cells in the range and locate the first pair which comprises one cell containing AT RISK and the other OFF TRACK, in either order.

2) Taking the rightmost of these cells, find the first cell to the right which contains neither AT RISK nor OFF TRACK

3) Taking the leftmost of these cells, find the first cell to the left which contains neither AT RISK nor OFF TRACK

4) Count the number of cells in between those found in 2) and 3) above, exclusive

Edit: looks like it's just been solved! Never mind!

Regards

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HellScout

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back