counting days

rantnrave

I have a spreadsheet that in column A I input a date when we complete "X" kilometers in column B
What I would like to do is count the days and provide an expected number of days to complete when I have a total Km we have days where no work is achieved so I can't deduct first date from last as that would be give a false average

Now I feel even worse
The count(a:a) provides a total number of entries into that column, as we can produce quite a few lines in a day its adding all the same dates. what I need is a way to recognise just how many different days worked
the formula you kindly provided gives me a 9.77 days to completion, and a completion date of 28/7/14
once again I appreciate your time

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
Here is a solution that should work for you. Specifically to find the number of unique days this is the formula being used. It is an array formula so enter it with ctrl+shift+enter

Code:
=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(LEN(A2:A10)>0,MATCH(A2:A10,A2:A10,0),""),IF(LEN(A2:A10)>0,MATCH(A2:A10,A2:A10,0),""))>0,1))
Sheet1

*ABCDEFG
1Worked DaysKilometres*GoalRemainingAverage per DayEstimated Date Goal Met
220/02/201425*100055015028/02/2014
322/02/2014250*****
422/02/201425*****
524/02/2014100*****
624/02/201450*****

<colgroup><col style="font-weight:bold; width:30px; "><col style="width:88px;"><col style="width:75px;"><col style="width:91px;"><col style="width:35px;"><col style="width:73px;"><col style="width:109px;"><col style="width:163px;"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Spreadsheet Formulas
CellFormula
E2=D2-SUM(B2:B10)
F2{=SUM(B2:B10)/SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(LEN(A2:A10)>0,MATCH(A2:A10,A2:A10,0),""), IF(LEN(A2:A10)>0,MATCH(A2:A10,A2:A10,0),""))>0,1))}
G2=MAX(A:A)+ROUND(E2/F2,0)

<tbody>
</tbody>
Formula Array:
Produce enclosing
{ } by entering
formula with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER!

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel tables to the web >> Excel Jeanie HTML 4

Upvote 0
ok now you have gone way over my head I have produced the little example and put in the formulas but these long formula do I remove the two outer brackets before Cntrl+Shft+enter or not either way It just sits ther looking at me and remains a formula I will keep trying as I appreciate you put in a lot of time already and I hate to be such a dunce
Les

Upvote 0
Where the brackets exist you enter them without the brackets (but do include the = sign) but instead of hitting enter you hit ctrl+shift+enter.

Upvote 0
Another way to find the number of different dates in A2:A10

=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(A2:A10,A2:A10),1))

confirmed with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER

Note: that works assuming A2:A10 has simple dates or blanks - if you have times with the dates then this will count the number of different days

=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(A2:A10,INT(A2:A10)),1))

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nice one Barry. I used the unique count solution posted on Microsoft's own help site. Considering how much more efficient and short your solution is I wonder why they didn't post that!

rantnRave to clarify the formula in F2 would change to:

=SUM(B2:B10)/SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(A2:A10,A2:A10),1))

Upvote 0
...I used the unique count solution posted on Microsoft's own help site....

Hello Brian,

That approach is more general, it works with any type of data, including text, numbers or mixed. The solution I suggested will only work with numbers (taking into account that dates are simply formatted numbers in excel).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Excel Master

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back