Create Comment With Input Box

jski21

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Trying to get an input box to pop up so a user can enter abrief comment that will then appear in a comment attached to the cell. Theproblem I believe I’m running into is the user inputs data into a table on onesheet which feeds results over to another sheet; Sheet X. It is the results in SheetX’s range where I’d like the comments to reside. I think I need to specifySheet X in the range below to get this to work?

Option Explicit
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)

'`````````````````````````````````````````````````````'
'Create pop up input box and add comment if"<=98.9%" result'
Dim sReason AsString

If NotIntersect(Target,Range("$B$26:$B$28,$B$30:$B$32,$B$34:$B$36,$B$38:$B$40,$E$26:$E$28,$E$30:$E$32,"& _
"$E$34:$E$36,$E$38:$E$40,$J$26:$J$28,$J$30:$J$32,$J$34:$J$36,$J$38:$J$40,"& _
"$M$26:$M$28,$M$30:$M$32,$M$34:$M$36,$M$38:$M$40")) Is NothingThen
IfTarget.Value > 0 <= 0.989 Then
sReason =Application.InputBox("Please provide a brief comment on why KPI wasmissed", Type:=2)
Target.AddComment
Target.Comment.Visible = False
Target.Comment.Text Text:=sReason
End If
End If

Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub

Thanks

jski

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
This will clean things up a bit and make the range more specific to the worksheet, but I'm still unclear where "sheetX' comes in to play.

Code:

'`````````````````````````````````````````````````````'
'Create pop up input box and add comment if"<=98.9%" result'
    Dim sReason As String
    Dim C As Comment

If Not Intersect(Target, Me.Range("$B$26:$B$28,$B$30:$B$32,$B$34:$B$36,$B$38:$B$40,$E$26:$E$28,$E$30:$E$32," & _
                                      "$E$34:$E$36,$E$38:$E$40,$J$26:$J$28,$J$30:$J$32,$J$34:$J$36,$J$38:$J$40," & _
                                      "$M$26:$M$28,$M$30:$M$32,$M$34:$M$36,$M$38:$M$40")) Is Nothing Then

Set C = Target.Comment
        If Not C Is Nothing Then
            C.Delete                                  'delete any existing comment
        End If

If Target.Value > 0 And Target.Value <= 0.989 Then
            Do
                sReason = Application.InputBox("Please provide a brief comment on why KPI was missed", _
                                               Title:="Comment for cell " & Target.Address & " (in " & Me.Name & ")", Type:=2)
            Loop Until sReason <> "False"
            Target.AddComment
            Target.Comment.Visible = False
            Target.Comment.Text Text:=sReason
        End If
    End If

Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Upvote 0
Thanks rlv01. This is helpful. Sheet X is another worksheet that will not be active because the user will be entering data in a table in another sheet (Data X). I'm thinking ideally the user enters the data in Dat X which feed over to Sheet X. Then when Sheet X is active, if any of the cells in the range are less than 98.9% an input box will pop up while on Sheet X asking for user info that will then create a comment in the effected cell(s) in Sheet X.

Not even sure if that is possible. Maybe there is a better way?

Upvote 0
So the sequence is:

User enters data in Data X
formulas calculate cells in Sheet X
If the result of that calculation (on Sheet X) is <.989 then get user input from inputbox and put that input as a comment in the cell in Sheet X.

Is that correct?

Upvote 0
I think this will do what you want

Code:
    Dim oneCell As Range, twoCell As Range
    Dim i As Long
    Dim memRng As Range

If not application.intersect(range("A1"),target) is nothing  Then :rem alter
        Set memRng = Selection
        Application.ScreenUpdating = False

With Target.Cells(1, 1)
            .ShowDependents
            i = 1
            On Error Resume Next
            Do
                Set oneCell = .NavigateArrow(False, 1, i)
                If oneCell.Parent.Name = "SheetX" Then
                    Exit Do
                ElseIf oneCell.Parent.Name = .Parent.Name Then
                    Set oneCell = Nothing
                    Exit Do
                End If
                i = i + 1
            Loop Until Err
            On Error GoTo 0
            .Parent.ClearArrows
        End With
        If Not oneCell Is Nothing Then
            If oneCell.Value < 0.989 Then
                oneCell.NoteText Text:=Application.InputBox("explaination", Default:=oneCell.NoteText, Type:=2)
            End If
        End If
        Application.Goto memRng
    End If
End Sub

Upvote 0
Then when Sheet X is active, if any of the cells in the range are less than 98.9% an input box will pop up while on Sheet X asking for user info that will then create a comment in the effected cell(s) in Sheet

From a user standpoint, it is not a good idea to let the users add a bunch of data to sheet "Data X", and then when "Sheet X" becomes active force them to deal with 30 inputboxes popping up one after the other, each asking for a comment. You want to have the input box pop up as they enter data for each cell in sheet Data X.

For that, a relationship is needed between the cells in Data X and the cells in Sheet X. So for example, if $B$26 on sheet "Data X" is changed, then there needs to be some way to know which cell on "Sheet X" requires a comment to be added to it.

1. How is any cell on sheet "Data X" where the user enters data, matched up to a cell on sheet "Sheet X" where you want the comment to be created?

2. Where does the value for the value test ( if Value <= 0.989, etc.) come from? The user entered value on sheet "Data X"? Or the formula result on sheet "Sheet X"?

Upvote 0
Yes, I get it. The KPIs seldom reach the .989 threshold but we still track. The cell on Sheet X simply refers to the result on Data X. The value result is on Data X. Sheet X refers to this result. Sheet X is essentially a mgmt. report. Data X is the raw data with calculated results that fee into Sheet X.

Upvote 0
Yes, that is correct.

I'm unclear what you mean by that. Still looking for these answers:

1. How is any cell on sheet "Data X" where the user enters data, matched up to a cell on sheet "Sheet X" where you want the comment to be created?

2. Where does the value for the value test ( if Value <= 0.989, etc.) come from? The user entered value on sheet "Data X"? Or the formula result on sheet "Sheet X"?

Upvote 0
rlvo1,

1. The cells on Data X are matched up to a cell to Sheet X by a reference formula. For example, Cell A1 on Data X calculates the value. Cell A1 on Sheet X references Cell A1 on Data X by using ='Data X'!A1.

2. The value test occurs through conditional formatting on Sheet X using =AND(A1>0,A1<=0.989). If the value test is met the cell is highlighted red.

Does that help?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smckenzie2016

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back