Creating a "duplicate found msg" in VBA

Jayliam

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. Mobile
I am very, very new to programming in VBA. I have come up with the following code for VBA. But, it doesn't work. I can still enter a duplicate. Can someone please share with me what I'm doing wrong?

If Trim(Me.txtheatcode.Value) = "" Then
MsgBox "Please enter a Heat Code"
If Trim(Me.txtheatcode.Value) = (Sheets("PartsData").Range("D2:D999")) = 0 Then
MsgBox "Duplicate Heat Code Found"
Me.txtheatcode.SetFocus
End If

Thank you for your time.

The only text box I need to check for duplicates in is the txtheatcode. All the other text boxes can have duplicates. Once the user has clicked to add this information I need this program to verify there is no duplicate in column D and if there is to reject their entry while notifying them.
Describe what you mean by "reject their entry"... do you mean delete whatever text is in the textbox?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
No I need a pop msg saying there is a duplicate record found. Until the user enters a different head code the program won't let them enter the information into the database.

Upvote 0
No I need a pop msg saying there is a duplicate record found. Until the user enters a different head code the program won't let them enter the information into the database.
Where is the TextBox and CommandButton located... on a worksheet or on a UserForm?

Upvote 0
Okay, I looked over your code again and see a problem with the way it is structured. Current you have this...

Code:
  If Application.CountIf(Sheets("PartsData").Range("D2:D999"), Trim(Me.txtheatcode.Value)) Then
    Me.txtheatcode.SetFocus
    Exit Sub
  End If
End If

but I think it should be written like this instead...

Code:
  Me.txtheatcode.SetFocus
Else
  If Application.CountIf(Sheets("PartsData").Range("D2:D999"), Trim(Me.txtheatcode.Value)) Then
    Me.txtheatcode.SetFocus
    Exit Sub
  End If
End If

Although there is a slight flaw with this... the user must enter a valid Heat Code number before he/she or your code can proceed... there is no way for the user to abort what he/she is doing. Is that acceptable to you? If not, then I can put a Cancel button on the MessageBox, but you need to tell me what should happen if the user clicks it... should the UserForm be unloaded or the TextBox cleared and the UserForm remain alive or, do you, perhaps, have some other action you would want to happen?

Upvote 0
It works perfectly! With over 25,000 records I was worried about it taking a significant amount of time to search through them but excel doesn't seem to have a problem. Now I need to write a program for searching.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sramesh1024

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back