Data validation not working - why?

Gingertrees

Summary: Excel 2010, password-protected workbook with data validation in cells, that is not doing its job of rejecting non-compliant entries.

I've created numerous protected workbooks for use by less-than-computer savvy users, who fill them out and email them back to me. I protect the heck out of these forms due to this fact. Yet, for reasons unknown, some of the simplest protections - basic data validation - sometimes goes awry.

For example, one of the fields is "phone number", data validation setting is simply text length=10. Yet I received a workbook today with text length 12 (someone had added the hyphens into the 10-digit number).

In another field, I have a more complex custom data validation. It's a custom ID, in which the first character of the field must be the letter "A", and it must have a total character length of 6 or more. That one's in cell Z2:
=AND(LEN(Z2)>5,LEFT(Z2,1)="A")

Yet I've had that one sent in with just 2 characters, the first of which being a "J"!

Has anyone else experienced people somehow circumventing data validation like this? The sheets are password protected, and show no evidence of tampering like they got a program to unlock them. And the folks who have done this would NOT know how to intentionally disable these protections.

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
Unfortunately, Data Validation is NOT foolproof.
Example, you are allowed to Copy/Paste on top of a data validated cell, this ignores the validation.
Particularly, you can do Copy / Paste Special / Values on top of a validated cell.

So you could type any value you want in a Non Validated Cell.
Copy That cell
Then Paste special - Values on top of the Validated Cell.

Bottom line, Excel is NOT secure. Validation is NOT fool proof.

Upvote 0
Hmm. Well, learn something old every day. With all the existing coding in my workbook, I'm reticent to add a worksheet change event on top of it, but I have bookmarked that page, as I'm sure it will come in handy at another time. Thank you both :)

Upvote 0
OK, the moment to use Andrew's referenced link came sooner than expected - and I have another problem. Going to new thread with new problem...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Enero1

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back