DAX equivalent of pivot table calculated field that divides 1 column by another

kcmuppet

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

It seems calculated fields are greyed out if your data source for a pivot table is a power query that has was created with the option 'Add to Data Model' selected.

In that case how do I achieve (in DAX?) the equivalent of adding a calculated field that simply divides one column by another to effectively show a percentage.

For example, for a pivot table that has Department names as rows, a field counting staff, I'd like to add a calculated field that is a count of the staff who have completed training and show it as a % of the count of the staff in that department - i.e.

Department​
Staff (count by department)​
Sum if Date Completed Training is not blank​
Completed Training​
Department 1​
33​
17​
52%​
Department 2​
23​
21​
91%​
Department 3​
67​
15​
22%​

Could somebody point me in the right direction (I'm completely new to DAX)

Thanks

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
What does the source data look like? Your second data column appears to be a sum rather than a count, judging by its title.

Generally you would create an explicit measure for each of the two fields, then create a third measure that simply divides one measure by the other.

Upvote 0
Hi, thanks for your reply.

The source data would be like this (M example below):

User IDDepartmentDate training completed
User ID 1Department 1
10-Mar​
User ID 2Department 2
22-Jan​
User ID 3Department 3
User ID 4Department 2
User ID 5Department 3
11-Feb​
User ID 6Department 1
User ID 7Department 2
10-Mar​
User ID 8Department 3
User ID 9Department 3

Power Query:
let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WCi1OLVLwdFEwVNJRckktSCwqyU3NKwFzDQ10fROLlGJ1EKqMUFWBuEZGul6JeSiqjFFVgbgo8iaYpqDIm2LqNzTUdUtNQlFlhuliFHlzTFuw+MiCgFstscnHAgA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"User ID" = _t, Department = _t, #"Date training completed" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"User ID", type text}, {"Department", type text}, {"Date training completed", type date}})
in
    #"Changed Type"

Yes in my first post I showed a sum (which should probably be a count) as an interim step, but I don't need to display it. I just need a (pivot) table with the 3 columns: Department, total staff members, % that have completed training (countif?) the 'Date training completed' in the source Table is a date/not null for each department - like column the manually created column D

I'm not sure what is meant by explicit measures, or where to define them. I assume I create pivot table as normal first then on the Ribbon, Power Pivot > Measures > New Measure.

What I'm confused about is that having done that, I'm presented with an option to create a measure which seems to be only applicable to the source data table, not the pivot table (and I'm not really sure how to start defining the measure/s to create the pivot table column):

1680171078200.png

Upvote 0
I would create three measures:
1. UserCount with formula: =COUNTA(Table1[User ID])
2. TrainingCount with formula: =COUNT(Table1[Date training completed])
3. TrainingPct with formula: =[TrainingCount]/[UserCount] (you can format as number - percentage in the measure dialog)
1680173541699.png

Upvote 0
Solution
Thank you, that's a great help.
Am I right in assuming your rationale for creating 3 measures instead of just one =[Count of Date training completed]/[Count of User ID]
is so that the other columns don't need to be displayed in the pivot table?

Upvote 0
The others are implicit measures anyway, but I like to create explicit measures for each step of a calculation so that if any of them need changing later, I only have to do it in one place - everything else that uses the same calculation refers to the same measure.

Upvote 1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krishnamadison

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back