Deducting hours to show time less than 00:00

CairoBabe

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. MacOS
I have a spreadsheet for an event that shows what is happening in a base time (UK) and the time in different time-zones, calculated from the base time and an offset, which varies from +11.00 to -08.00. The formula I am using is in the form =IF(ISBLANK($D54),"",$D54-G$3), where D54 is the base time and G3 is the offset.

The formulae works fine for most values. But when the result is less than 00:00 it doesn't work. For example, if the base time is between 01:00 and 07:00, it cannot display the time for the timezone with a -08:00 offset. So if the base time is 01:00, I want it to display 17:00 but all I see is *********. I'm not sure if it is a formula issue or a display format issue. Can anyone suggest a way around this please?

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
You could try using 1904 date system:
from menu Options / Advanced / in section 'When calculating this workbook" check the "Use 1904 date system"
But since you are using Time Zones and Dates please check well if this option gives you other issues.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You could try using 1904 date system:
from menu Options / Advanced / in section 'When calculating this workbook" check the "Use 1904 date system"
But since you are using Time Zones and Dates please check well if this option gives you other issues.
Thank you. I tried that but it gave negative times. I think I have managed to find a solution by including the date in the base cell, although formatting it to only show the time. That seems to work for showing the time in the other zones.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the feedback(y). Glad you found an alternative solution to your problem.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peter Juhnke

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back