Dependant drop-down list stopped working

Fishboy

Hi all,

In my Excel 2010 workbook I have created some dependant drop-down lists. On a hidden sheet called 'Background Data' I have the various dependencies set out in tables which have been given named ranges.

Initially everything was working fine on my test data, but when I started adding in live information to the mix one of the dependencies stopped working and I cannot figure out why as nothing has changed other than the actual data on the main sheet.

This is a snippet of the dependency table that has stopped working (the bits not included are basically just more of the same). The named ranges are basically the header titles with underscores instead of spaces.

Excel 2010
ABCDEFG
1LocationCorby GraduateCorby PlacementHartlepool GraduateHartlepool PlacementPort Talbot GraduatePort Talbot Placement
2CorbyProcurementMechanicalElectricalN/AElectricalGroup Environment
3HartlepoolMechanicalFinance
4Port TalbotGroup Environment
5S****horpeProcess Control
6ShottonResearch&Development
7StocksbridgeSales&Marketing
8Teeside Skinningrove
9Trostre
10UK Various
11Wolverhampton

<colgroup><col style="width: 25pxpx"><col><col><col><col><col><col><col></colgroup><thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>
Background Data

And this is what the main sheet looks like:

Excel 2010
ABCDEFG
1Candidate IDFirst
Name
SurnameLocation
Choice 1
SchemeFunction Choice
(Input) Discipline
21234567JohnDoePort TalbotPlacement

<colgroup><col style="width: 25pxpx"><col><col><col><col><col><col><col></colgroup><thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>
Screening - New

So, in column G the data validation rule (that was originally working but stopped) is as follows:

Code:
=INDIRECT(SUBSTITUTE($D$2," ","_"&"_"&$F$2))
Which when working took the value of D2, substituted any spaces for an underscore, added and underscore at the end, then took the value of F2.

In the example data this would have generated 'Teeside_Skinningrove_Placement' which as you can see should have tied in with the named range 'Teeside_Skinningrove_Placement' and therefore the next drop-down box should have had "Group Environment" as the only available option.

Instead the final drop-down just refuses to drop down as if there are no valid options to be selected from.

Does anyone have any ideas what may be up?

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Copy PDF to Excel
Select data in PDF. Paste to Microsoft Word. Copy from Word and paste to Excel.
Just noticed the error in my description. The example data would have returned 'Port_Talbot_Placement'...

Regardless, this has no effect on the issue.

Upvote 0
Hmmm, I can get it all working again if I forgo the substitution part, but that means removing the spaces from all of the other data which is really not ideal.

I am hoping at some point one of the experts looks at this thread, as so far I have had a load of views and no advice :(

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aby2024

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back