Device I/O Error - VBA Hacker?

ChrisOK

Could someone tell me what would be causes for a " DEVICE I/O Error" to appear?

I have a file that was shared and protected on a server.
It was suspected that someone went into the unpassworded VBA editor and wiped out the sheets from the workbook- leaving only the "shell" of the file behind.

Once done, you could not even "insert a new sheet" --

Now that the damage is done --- when you go to open the file - you get a simple: VBA Dialog Box which says: Device I/O Error
Once you say: OK - then the file finishes opening - and it just looks like an empty shell.
File name is at the top - but no sheets are present any longer.
All options - such as SAVE AS and INSERT sheet are grayed out and inaccessible....
Luckily, I had a back up - but with the investigation - I need more info!

I'm going to be meeting with our IT group to discuss the entire hacker situation today - and want more info on what would generate this error - other than a hacker getting into the file and destroying it.

Or is it plain and simple:
This error was generated (BECAUSE) someone accessed the VBA area and wiped out the guts of the file?

If this is the case - great -- if not -- then I need more info --
Thanks!
Need info ASAP --
Thanks
Chris

Hi,

If you want to prevent the file from being deleted then you'll need to get your network administrator to do this (unless you have admin rights yourself). There's no way to do this from within Excel's environment or by using VBA.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
Technical problems aside, please make sure you use the correct definition for someone maliciously destroying things, in this sense, it would be a "*******", not a "hacker"...

You'd be hard-pressed to find a ******* around this board, but nearly every one of us here can be said to be a hacker. We're technical people who like to learn, and help other people with the things we learn.

Upvote 0
OdinsDream said:
Technical problems aside, please make sure you use the correct definition for someone maliciously destroying things, in this sense, it would be a "*******", not a "hacker"...

You'd be hard-pressed to find a ******* around this board, but nearly every one of us here can be said to be a hacker. We're technical people who like to learn, and help other people with the things we learn.

Just out of interest, what's the difference?

:)
Dan

Upvote 0
The difference comes when people start associating random computer-related things with hackers, as is being done in this thread. I'm sure it's entirely possible that someone maliciously ruined the workbook in question. It's also just as likely that a network error occurred while saving it, and the workbook was corrupted.

There are more formal discussions available on the definitions... here's one:
http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid14_gci212220,00.html

It's just important to refrain from jumping to conclusions about seemingly mysterious occurrences, and pointing fingers at intelligent people.

Upvote 0
OdinsDream said:
The difference comes when people start associating random computer-related things with hackers, as is being done in this thread. I'm sure it's entirely possible that someone maliciously ruined the workbook in question. It's also just as likely that a network error occurred while saving it, and the workbook was corrupted.

There are more formal discussions available on the definitions... here's one:
http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid14_gci212220,00.html

It's just important to refrain from jumping to conclusions about seemingly mysterious occurrences, and pointing fingers at intelligent people.

OK, thanks. I learn something new every day :)

However, in this case, I think the OP can be forgiven for their 'misuse' of the terminology. I don't think there was any misunderstanding in the problem they were describing.

Regards,
Dan

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mari_mariou

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back