Digitally signing macros

Joe4

MrExcel MVP, Junior Admin
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Conversation with Greg Truby, posted for the benefit of others (and with his permission):
Greg,

I have been searching this forum regarding digitally signing macros. I see that it looks like you are using them in an office setting.

I write a lot of macros that we distribute around the office and the "Enable Macros" prompts confuses and/or annoys many users.

I see that to get an "Authentic Certification" requires effort and money, but it appears from your e-mails that you are successfully using the SelfCert. I have a few questions regarding this:

1. Can you use this in an office setting? It appeared to me that it would only work for the signer on his computer. Does that mean everyone would need to sign and save a copy of the file for themselves?

2. In one of the posts it mentions that it self-signing might not work if the macro creates or deletes files. Is that true? Many of my macros create new worksheets.

i just tried it on another computer. it open's it up just fine but the macros don't work.

my digital signature is in the document so I am a bit confused why I never get the dialog box asking to load the certificate.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.
This procedure works great for Excell 2003, but ever since I have gone to Excel 2007 I can not get my digital signitures to work.

Any ideas?

Upvote 0
This procedure works great for Excell 2003, but ever since I have gone to Excel 2007 I can not get my digital signitures to work.

Any ideas?

It's not working very cleanly for me in 2007 either. I can sign my own stuff and then I can open without problems. But I cannot seem to accept the Self-Cert signatures from other's signed workbooks. Even if I jump through all the hoops and successfully import the certificate, when I attempt to open the workbook, the "always trust..." checkbox is disabled. grrrr! :oops: Will post back if I figure out what's going on.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Edwin_SVRZ

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back