Don't Chart/Graph Cells With Formula That Returns Blank

xtinct2

Hi,

I have a line chart with an x-axis of Jan-Dec.
The data that the chart is pulling from will be updated each month
For months with no data (i.e. future months) I don't want the chart to plot those (non-existent) points -- so I'd like for the chart to cut off after the current month.

-I first had the formula for future months result in 0, but the chart plots it at 0 (makes sense)
-I then had the formula for future months return "" since I know a chart doesn't plot blanks, but the chart plots it at 0
-I then had the formula for future months return #N/A since I know a chart doesn't plot blanks, but the chart plots it at 0

I'd rather not make the cells truly blank b/c that would involve me having to drag over the formula each month -- and I'd rather set it and forget it.

Is this possible?

Thank you so much! :)

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
Hi

Just define a dynamic range that does not include future months, and that will automatically update when you include the value for a new month.

This is an example by Jon Peltier:

Create a Dynamic Chart

Upvote 0
Hi

Just define a dynamic range that does not include future months, and that will automatically update when you include the value for a new month.

This is an example by Jon Peltier:

Create a Dynamic Chart

Thanks

However, I don't want to resize the chart -- i want to show the fwd months, but have the line end at the current month

Still possible?

Upvote 0
With Excel 2013 I can get data to display as you want on the chart by using =NA() for the future months.

Select the chart. From the right-click pop-up menu, click on 'Select Data...'. In the lower left-hand corner of the Select Data Source dialog box, click on the button labeled 'Hidden and Empty Cells'.

In the new pop-up dialog, select 'Show empty cells as: * Gaps', then click 'OK'.

I think there's a similar setting available in 2010. I'm pretty sure Excel versions released after Excel 2013 also have that same setting.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kingwi11y

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back