Drop Down List with a 2nd Column for Information Only

gmconrad

I have a dropdown list in my spreadsheet that identifes a code. The code does not mean anything to the users of the spreadsheet so I want to include a description with each item on the list, BUT I do not want this description to be included when the user selects the code.

For example, I want the user to select from the following items: VP, IM, CF. When they are viewing the choices, I would like them to see a 2nd column to describe the 1st: Vendor Purchase, Internal Manufacturing, Customer Furnished. When they select the item, I only want the 2 digit code to appear though.

Any help without having to do much VBA?

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
Create a list of your descriptions on a separate sheet. Click on each description cell and go to the Name Box (alternatively Insert->Name->Define) and type the name of the desired code. Then on your main sheet, if the user chooses a code in say A2, type the formula =INDIRECT(A2) in cell B2 to retrieve its description.

Upvote 0
Use Vlookup
So have the two listed, Vlookup the code and have it show the comments that you have prepared.

Regards,
jc

Upvote 0
thanks for the responses but that's not what I'm looking for.

On my main form, I have one column where the user can select a code. In the drop down, I would like the user to see the following:
col 1 col 2
VP Vendor Purchase
IM Internal Manufacturing
CF Customer Furnished

When the user selects 'VP Vendor Purchase", I only want the 1st column's value (VP) to appear on the form. I do not want to see the description on the form (I only want the user to see the description when they are tying to make a selection from the list).

Upvote 0
Create your list entries like VP Vendor Purchase .. etc. and use Data validation to display the list. Then, paste this code in your worksheet's Change Event. Replace B:B with the column in which your list is getting displayed.

Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
Dim rng As Range
If Target.Cells.Count = 1 Then
If Not Application.Intersect(Target, Range("B:B")) Is Nothing Then
Target.Validation.Delete
Target = Left(Target, InStr(1, Target.Value, " "))
End If
End If
End Sub

Upvote 0
thanks for the help but I don't work with macros. What do you mean by my worksheet's Change Event?

Upvote 0
Right-click where Excel shows the sheet's name at the bottom and choose View Code. It takes you to the Visual Basic editor window. You should see 2 dropdowns. In the first, choose Worksheet. In the second, choose Change. You should see this blank worksheet macro inserted:

Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)

End Sub

Paste the previous code starting from Dim till the final End If into the above blank macro.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excel_beta_345User

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back