Effective Interest Rate

raytehawsome

Hi there,

I am wondering if someone can help me figure out how to format this formula. Let's say I open up a CD for 5 years (60 months). If I keep the money in there for at least 4 months without breaking it I will get a $1000 bonus and the APY is 3%. How do I calculate the effective annual interest rate for the first year for this so that it includes the one time bonus I will get? For argument's sake, let's say that I put $100,000 into the CD. Thank you in advance for helping!

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
In a year, you earn $4K on $100K, so the effective rate is 4% for the year. 2.5% for the first six months.

Upvote 0
Hi,

It would also depend on whether the $1000 bonus given after 4 months (not 6 months) also earns interest for the rest of the year...

Upvote 0
Sorry, rather how would I write the formula to figure that out? And while I threw out some numbers there as an example, I am looking to sub in those numbers with different dollar amounts represented by different cells. Also, thank you for the clarification jtakw, I will not be earning interest in the $1000.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jesski

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back