Error '1004' & '13' Copying Range from Another Open Workbook.

bs0d

I'm building a macro within one workbook, to open another WB and copy a range of data, then go back to the original WB and paste the results.

With the code below, I get a '1004' error (application or object defined error):

Code:
WB.Sheets(NAME).Range(Cells(copyFrom, START_COL), Cells(copyTo, END_COL)).Select
Selection.Copy

After researching '1004' errors, I tried the code below, but now get a '13' error (type mismatch):

Code:
Dim copy_rng as Range
Set copy_rng = WB.Sheets(NAME).Range("A" & copyFrom).Resize(copyTo, END_COL)

Other information you may need:

WB is defined as Excel.Workbook, the 2nd workbook I'm trying to copy from.
CopyFrom, copyTo and END_COL contain integers.
NAME is a string variable or the tab name.

Any thoughts?

Excel is really making things tough, as correcting that issue again just jumped to another conditional "error" (existing only after the first loop, and only if a workbook is already open).

Now it doesn't like this code, which says '9' subscript out of range. This FinalRow check is the one that occurs right before copying & pasting:
Code:
FinalRow = MasterWB.Sheets(TAB_NAME).Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row

Any thought as to why VBA doesn't like this?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
That means that a sheet with the value assigned to TAB_NAME doesn't exist in MasterWB. What's assigned to TAB_NAME when you get the error?

Upvote 0
Hey Andrew,

The tab name does exist, because I don't get the error if I close the workbook at the end of each loop cycle. Also, before this point in the code, I have a condition to check if TAB_NAME exists - and if it doesn't, to exit the function:

Code:
chkSh = WorksheetExists(WB, NAME)

If chkSh = False Then

Z = MsgBox("Alert: Worksheet - " & NAME & " - Not Found in " & WB_NAME & ".", vbOKOnly, "ERROR")

'Detect last row
         FinalRow = MasterWB.Sheets("ERRORS").Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row

If FinalRow <= 0 Then
                FinalRow = 1
            End If

MasterWB.Sheets("ERRORS").Cells(FinalRow + 1, 1).Value = NAME
         MasterWB.Sheets("ERRORS").Cells(FinalRow + 1, 2).Value = "Tab Names does not match Name"

WB.Close False 'close opened workbook.

GET_PROD = False

Exit Function
    End If

Upvote 0
You're right, that check is to ensure the tab name in the other workbook exists.

I think I found a solution, and that is to use "ThisWorkbook." instead of "MasterWB." ... After the 1st loop, it seems to forget the "MasterWB" being set.

On the code where you showed me how to copy and paste:
Code:
WB.Sheets(NAME).Range(WB.Sheets(NAME).Cells(copyFrom, START_COL), WB.Sheets(NAME).Cells(copyTo, END_COL)).Copy ThisWorkbook.Sheets(TAB_NAME).Cells(FinalRow + 1, 3)

How can I tell Excel to pastespecial values here?

Upvote 0
That would require two lines:

Code:
WB.Sheets(NAME).Range(WB.Sheets(NAME).Cells(copyFrom, START_COL), WB.Sheets(NAME).Cells(copyTo, END_COL)).Copy
 ThisWorkbook.Sheets(TAB_NAME).Cells(FinalRow + 1, 3).PasteSpecial  Paste:=xlPasteValues

Upvote 0
Great, that works like a charm. I appreciate the help- This macro will save a lot of time.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thnirmitha

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back