dbValue = 3.1415
MsgBox Evaluate("SIN(" & dbValue & ")")
End Sub

Sub Test2()
Dim dbValue As Double
dbValue = 3
MsgBox Evaluate("SIN(" & dbValue & ")")
End Sub

The first does not work, but the second does. It's not because of Pi, it's because of floating point. If dbValue, instead of 3.1415, has a value of 1, it works, but 1.1 is not working, neither 1.2, nor 1.2345678,... only integers.

Any idea?

Kind Regards

Excel Facts

Move date out one month or year
Use =EDATE(A2,1) for one month later. Use EDATE(A2,12) for one year later.
I knew they should work both, and both the same, but it halts me an:
Execution Error, 13, Type Mismatch.

So when you posted, I went to try in my other PC. It happens again... so I start to consider i'ts because of spanish keyboard, spanish configuration... and Excel decimal delimiter is not the same as VBA decimal delimiter...

Just have to make the English configuration the default.

Thank you, I'm sure I will never get to this if did not have an English test.

Best Regards

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think you might be right about the separator thing, didn't think of that.:)

Upvote 0
Thanks Mike, but
Evaluate("SIN(" & CStr(dbValue) & ")")
didn't work.

The problem is the internal configuration. Changing it solves the problem.

With the latinoamerican system configuration the decimal separator is a ",". Internally, when VBA reads the dbValue, converts it to a number, with the System configuration format. From there, the number has a "," which is kept after the CStr result.

Regards.

P.D. I don't know how to rename this thread to [SOLVED]

Upvote 0
When you use evaluate like that, think of it as evaluating a formula in a worksheet. It's going to evaluate the SIN() worksheet function and it will expect decimal separators etc to be how they would look in a formula.

VBA has its own SIN() function. If you use it instead, not only will the calculation be fractionally faster than evaluating its worksheet function equivalent, but you will also avoid this international compatability issue.

Code:
Sub example()
    Const dbPI As Double = 3.1415

Debug.Print Sin(dbPI)

'which is equivalent of:

Debug.Print VBA.Sin(dbPI)

End Sub

Edit: Just as a side note, its worth noting that SIN() expects radians, not degrees.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi Colin,

I posted this question because I'm creating an Excel Soft to handle construction budgets. In my country (Spain) there is an association of software companies dealing with that branch of soft. They had an ASCII format in order to store all the information. The case is that, when dealing with dimensions, their format let represent four variables (a,b,c,d) renaming the tipical unities x lenght x width x height with those (a,b,c,d), and their store the formula to apply in a commentary field.

So when, translating this to VBA I need to read a particular formula which can vary from one line to another (so it's not programmable), and I need to operate this trought the Eval function. And there was where all my problems started... XDD

Anyway, very pleased you for your kindness with the answers.

Upvote 0
I mean, tipically they use the fields stored in unities, widths, lenghts, heights as any person will do normally to get a volume/Area.
But if they need to represent an strange formula to get that volume/Area/measurement that is not a function of unities, widths, lenghts, heights, they use that little trick to pass the formula (with up to four variables) to their specific programs. In VBA I can only imagine using the Eval function for this.

Any other ideas will be wellcomed. ;)

Upvote 0
Hi adulador,

Your code works on my machine. The sine of 3.1415 radians is 9.250245 x 10^-5.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anil K Sonawane

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back