Exact Index Match Returns a Value when it Should Not

Tguillaume

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all,

I am working with healthcare data in two different worksheets. In my first worksheet, I have a patient unique ID (which is simply a concatenation of their full name, sex, and date of birth) as well as their medical spend. Due to privacy reasons some patient full names are masked with asterisks as seen below:

Sheet1
Column A: Column B:
Patient_IDSpend
JohnSmith1990-01-01$100
JaneSmith1991-02-02$150
***********1992-03-03$200

I want to add the patient's doctor to the table above, which I can do by referencing another worksheet which has the patient ID and the doctor's name, as seen below. Importantly, this worksheet comes from a separate source and does not have any masked patient names.

Sheet2
Column A: Column B:
Patient_IDDoctor
JohnSmith1990-01-01Dr. A
JaneSmith1991-02-02Dr. B
JohnDoe1992-03-03Dr. C

A key observation here is that there is no way to infer that the patients in the fourth row of each table are the same and therefore they should not match when using an exact index match formula. I used the following formula in Column C of Sheet 1 to get:

=index(Sheet2!B:B,MATCH(Sheet1!A2,Sheet2$A$2:$A$4,0))

Using the EXACT option of the MATCH function I expect the result for **********1992-03-03 to return #N/A. The issue is that this formula is returning Dr. C as the doctor for **********1992-03-03 because I presume it is partial matching on the date of birth.

Does anyone know how to specify that I do not want any partial matches and require #N/A to return if there is not an exact match on each character? I tried using General and Text format to no avail. I thought specifying 0 in the third argument of the MATCH function would prevent this.

Any help is appreciated!

-Tguillaume

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
Do you actually have asterisks in Sheet1!A2?

If you do then it is wildcard matching, otherwise there is no reason for a match to be returned.

One thing that you will find is that the results will be incorrect when there is a valid match. The index range and match range need to use the same rows, by using the entire column in index and a smaller range in match, you are creating an offset.

Upvote 0
Use Substitute Formula to change "*" Sign.

27-08-21 Exp.xlsx
ABC
2Patient_IDSpend
3JohnSmith1990-01-01$100Dr. A
4JaneSmith1991-02-02$150Dr. B
5***********1992-03-03$200#N/A
6#N/A
7#N/A
8#N/A
9#N/A
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C3:C9C3=INDEX(Sheet2!B:B,MATCH(SUBSTITUTE(A3,"*",""),Sheet2!A:A,0))

Upvote 0
Use Substitute Formula to change "*" Sign.
Actually that should be
Excel Formula:
=INDEX(Sheet2!B:B,MATCH(SUBSTITUTE(A3,"*","~*"),Sheet2!A:A,0))
otherwise it would not match correctly if the name with the "*" symbols existed in sheet2.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dazjlbb

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back