Excel 2010 – Chasing Links to External Worksheets

stevenfletcher

I have a number of spreadsheets which are similar and so I copied one from another. I had the same problem that many people have had about links to previous spreadsheets (the ones I copied from). I searched the internet many times and looked to solve the problem like searching for “ [ “ and downloaded Micro Soft’s wizard for deleting links. None of it helped and I could not break or locate the links. I finally traced it down to conditional formatting. I had 5 tabs and I added them (copy all) from another worksheet. When I got to one which had conditional formatting the problem of being unable to find and break links started to appear. I deleted column by column and eventually found a column contain week numbers that had conditional formatting to highlight the week number if it was the week under editing. I removed the conditional formatting and the problem was solved. I have not yet found out how to copy this without creating unwanted link but at least I found the problem and the worst case solution I have to create the formula for highlighting the cells each time. Does anyone know how to copy the conditional formatting without creating these links?

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
='C:\Users\Steven Fletcher\Desktop\[190-Fri-1430-EngCornerJiuQuanPrimary.xlsx]LP'!#REF! = #REF!
So the link was broken and this link got copied every time I created a new spreadsheet based on the old one. I have now discovered other places where a link to an external file (in VLOOKUP) go copied. I "believe" originally in was a reference to another tab in the same worksheet. Is there a way to insure that such links are to local tabs?

Upvote 0
If you copy a worksheet that references another worksheet in the same workbook to a new workbook, a link to the original workbook will be created. The solution is to simultaneously copy both source and target worksheets.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgp19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back