Excel 2013 Cannot Run the Macro....The Macro May Not be available in this workbook or all macros disabled

riclop

I've come across this behavior on two different occasions now. I have a workbook that is password protected for write access. I've written a macro and assigned it to a shape. In Excel 2010 I am able to execute the macro without any troubles both in Read-Only as well as Edit mode. When I open up the same file in Excel 2013 (in either Read-Only or Edit mode) and I click the shape that the macro is assigned to I receive a message box,

"Cannot run the macro "<my macro name>". The macro may not be available in this workbook or all macros may be disabled.

In read-only I try to reassign the macro (using the right click menu of the shape). I find the macro I want to (re)assign, highlight and select OK. I then double-click the shape to run the macro. I get the message in Excel asking to input the password or open the file as read-only. I click read only and it reopens the file. I'm still unable to execute the macro.

In edit mode I try to reassign the macro (using the right click menu of the shape). I find the macro I want to (re)assign, highlight and select OK. I then double-click the shape to run the macro. I get the message "File in Use". I'm still unable to execute the macro.

Any thoughts out there as to why in Excel 2010 I have no troubles but in Excel 2013 it wants to open another copy of the same workbook?

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jayeshw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back