Excel 2019 How to find a " " (space) in a text string and only return those strings that have " " (space/s)

Event2020

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Excel 2019 Windows 10

I have 26352 cells, each on a seperate row, that contains a text string of various lengths.

Some of the text strings have been entered incorrectly by a previous user and a " " blank space was introduced, some times 2 or more.

I need a formula or VBA function that will look at each text string and IF it contains a " " blank space or spaces then it returns that string. If there are no blank spaces it returns nothing (ignores it).

I know I could use substitute() and replace any spaces but that is not what I am trying to achieve, I just want a list of all text strings that have the errant " " space.

I have tried the FIND function but to my laymans eyes it requires a LEFT, MID or RIGHT element but I need the WHOLE string to be searched.

For illustration purposes

A perfect string looks like: Loremipsumdolorsit[amet],(consectetur)_adipiscing_elit

A string with the error looks like Loremipsumdolor sit[amet],(consectetur) adipiscing_elit

So the formula or VBA would only reurn or display the string with the error.

Thanks.

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
Hi

Use the filter. Type a space in the search box and hit ENTER.

Upvote 0
Supposing that your data starts in A1 in B1 (or other column as helper) use this formula and pull down:
=IF(LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1," ",""))<>LEN(A1),"Error","Ok")

Upvote 0
What version of Excel are you using?

I suggest that you update your Account details (or click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version(s) & platform(s) you are using as the best solution often varies by version. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’)

Also do you just want a list with no blanks, or should this be row by row?

Upvote 0
Answer unexpectedly provided by a work collegue.

Assume Cell A1 is the first row & cell with text string to be tested and then copy the formula down the column.

Excel Formula:
=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(" ",A1)),A1,"")

This will return only those text strings that have a " " anywhere within it.

Upvote 0
How do U want the offending strings displayed? Seems like U could use the Instr function something like...
Code:
Dim Rng as range
For each Rng in Activesheet.UsedRange
If Instr(Rng.Text, " ") then
'display something
MsgBox Rng.Address
End if
Next Rng
HTH. Dave

Upvote 0
Hi Fluff

I have update my profile as you suggest but I did also state Excell 2019 and Windows 10 at the top of my original post.

Upvote 0
A reminder:

Cross-posting (posting the same question in more than one forum) is not against our rules, but the method of doing so is covered by #13 of the Forum Rules.

Be sure to follow & read the link at the end of the rule too!

Cross posted at:

If you have posted the question at more places, please provide links to those as well.

If you do cross-post in the future and also provide links, then there shouldn’t be a problem.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chandan4057

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back