Excel acting weird - some type of virus or settings caused behaviour

Roxana

I'm experiencing a weird behaviour in excel with workbooks containing macros. (i have both Excel 2003 & 2007 installed on my machine)

It appears as if every operation happening on any of the worksheets (ie worksheet change event of the current worksheet triggering some change in some other worksheet) is visible and has a painting impact on the current worksheet. So i'm seing parts of series of cells w/ their format painted on top of the current worksheet as respons to a worksheet event.

The behaviour started after i opend a workbook sent by someone experincing the same behaviour ( i thought it might be a setting in the workbook so i opend it to try to figure out what is different then in my current settings). After that every workbook w/ macros was behaving in the same way on my machine also.

If i were to try to describe it better, it would apear as repaint is not happening. So i may see cells from other workheets overpainted on top of the current worksheet i am working on (i'm seing it happening only on my workbooks containing macros).

I reinstalled excel 2003 & 2007 and aparently all looked ok until i opend a workbook existent on my comp (which i might have opend when i was experiencing this weird behaviour; but this file defenatly originated on my computer and long before the problem appeared).

The Workbook i opened changed somehow my current settings? Or is it a "macro" virus...I'm not able to figure out how this behaviour has been triggered. ( I did scan the file w/ bitdifender & symantec), i do have antivr software running all the time on my machine.

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
Thanks Peter,

Does not act like a stuck key or any hardware related issue... Or if is settings related, is not something that i might have set on my environment, but rather something that came with the workbook that i oppend that alredy experienced it....

Upvote 0
I first experienced this behaviour last week on thursday when i opened a workbook sent to me by one of my collegues.

Since then 4 of us that exchanged files among each other (at least the original workbook had traveled among each other ) have experienced the same problem.(we are all using symantec antivir software)

We've all reinstalled office and aparently the problem was solved.
I don't know if any of the other 3 have reexperienced the issue again.

I have today reopend a workbook (which i think i may have opened when i first experienced the issue last week(i can't remember for sure)) and the problem reapeared.
This workbook has originated on my computer months ago and i did not have any issue with it until today.

Upvote 0
Seems i have missinterpreted the sympthoms. Were 2 security updates for excel causing the behavior: KB973475 (excel 2003) and KB973593 (for Excel 2007).
Removing them sloved the problem.

Upvote 0
I am experiencing the same problem on a very large scale on a very complex workbook.

It seems like everyone but MS has acknolodged this is a bug. Any word anywhere from MS? They didn't roll out a fix today in their updates. Can anyone tell for certain there will ever be a fix?

There is a bit of info here, but I don't know if the people talking are actually who they are
http://www.microsoft.com/communitie...d04-93a0dc578bdc&cat=&lang=en&cr=US&sloc=&p=1

Can MrExcel staff offer up any hope or additional info here about whether ms will be fixing this?

Thanks,
-Josh

Upvote 0
There is a bit of info here, but I don't know if the people talking are actually who they are
http://www.microsoft.com/communitie...d04-93a0dc578bdc&cat=&lang=en&cr=US&sloc=&p=1

Can MrExcel staff offer up any hope or additional info here about whether ms will be fixing this?

I can't speak to the first two posters in your link, but Gord Dibben is a Microsoft Excel MVP. If he says it's been reported to the Excel development team, then it has been.

I can't tell you when they might release a fix for it, but the Excel development team is a pretty responsive group. If something is a big enough issue they do tend to jump on it. Just note that bug releases aren't necessarily up to them, as that's generally a more global issue.

Hope that helps,

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacob_mcbride

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back