Excel found unreadable content in "……………".

springbrook

Board Regular
I have received and error message:

Excel found unreadable content in "……………". Do you want to recover contents of this workbook?

This workbook has been used for quite some time now.
There are 3 of us who use this workbook nearly every day.
It opens fine on my pc but not on the other 2 (we all run 2007)

Now when they open the workbook it comes up with the following error.
If they open an older version its ok, however if I open it, do nothing to it, save it and then close it, the error appears.

It seems to be since Thursday last week when my 'automatic updates' were done.
Some thing has changed !

Nothing has been altered at all.

I need of desperate help.

Thanks in advance
Springbrook

Was there ever a Universal root cause/solution found on this? Basically, my result of this error removes four macro enabled buttons from two seperate tabs (error indicating futher that XML drawing 2 and 3 have been removed to ensure the successful repair of the file).

Regards,

Hollando

Too busy to read the old responses. "...Universal root cause/solution..." this reminds me of an issue. Did you change root directories? You would have to point the formula to the new directory.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Move date out one month or year
Use =EDATE(A2,1) for one month later. Use EDATE(A2,12) for one year later.
Never found any root cause that was universal. I think there are many possible causes. This thread evolved into central repository to record what has worked in various situations to provide a list of possible fixes when someone stumbles on this problem themselves. My final solution, implied but not explicitly stated above, was to create a brand new workbook, manually add/create all of the objects in that new workbook, then copy and paste text-only into the new workbook... it's laborious, but it worked. There seemed to be something in the meta-data of the file that was a problem... but that is not the case in every situation. You will need to perform some of your own detective work to fix this problem, and hopefully you get some ideas from this thread. Whatever you find, please share, so someone else can benefit.

Upvote 0
Lately I'm getting this problem more and more often and on various files. (on Win7 and Office 2010)
latest occurance was like an hour ago, when I was quite ready to smash my head against the wall because all the nights work was wasted as this problem was in all the backup saves made since I started to work on it last evening.
I had: "Removed Records: Object from /xl/worksheets/sheet13.xml part"
No matter how I tried to save it, the problem remained. as a last resort I tried following - took an old version of the file that was still working and copied all the contents of sheet13 to the buggy file. It helped!!!! Try smth like that if You have such prolem - it might help.

Good luck!

Upvote 0
What caused this for me was sorting single row ranges.

I have 9 ranges of 4 columns with varying row counts, each connected to a combobox, each on its own page.

The items in the lists migrate back and forth thru the lists depending on its status. Sorting was part of the sub after a list change. Any time a range was sorted that had only one row, that page would throw the error the next time the file was launched. Once I qualified my sort routine, all is well.

As always, thanks to all who help make this board the GREATEST!

Roy

Warship- I could not for the life of me figure out what was causing the 'Unreadable Content' message in my workbook. I found your post about sorting being a possible culprit, and immediately recognized this as something happening in my code. I trapped the sorting routines and that fixed it!

I've been visiting Excel forums for years, but I've never joined or posted to any of them. I specifically joined Mr. Excel so I could reply and let you know that six years later, your post is still relevant and helpful. Thank you!!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anniewonder

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back