Excel 'indirect' formula across sheets with an 'average' formula...

RGriev

Hi all,

I have looked here a lot in the past for help but this is the first time I have had to post a problem as I just can't figure out how indirect functions work.

I have a workbook with two sheets, one with raw data (named RAW) and one in which I would like to have average values etc. Unfortunately I have the common problem that excel will not recognise the pattern in my average formula when I try to drag it down a column.

Basically I want cell E3 in sheet 2 to average cells D3:D9 in sheet 1, E4 to average D10:D18, E5 to average D19:D30 and E6 to average D31:D43 then the pattern repeats. I'm thinking that I will need a block of four indirect functions that I can then drag down and they will all auto fill correctly, but I just don't know how these formula work...

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Roddy.

Windows 7
Excel 2010 (Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010)

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
Welcome to MrExcel.

One way (no need for INDIRECT):

=AVERAGE(INDEX(Sheet2!D:D,(9*ROWS(E$3:E3))+1):INDEX(Sheet2!D:D,(9*ROWS(E$3:E3))+9))

Upvote 0
Hi and thanks for the quick response!

That formula doesn't seem to work though... it works fine for the value I want in E4 but the other values aren't what they should be. Also, when I drag the formula down to auto fill, the values aren't what they are supposed to be. I don't know if I am supposed to change some of the values?

The numbers I want to average aren't evenly spaced i.e. the formula in E3 has to average 7 values (D3:D9), the one in E4 has to average 9 (D10:D18), E5 has to average 12 (D19:D30) and E6 has to average 13 (D31:D43) then the pattern repeats itself (that's the pattern I can't get excel to follow). I think I have to change some of your values - to make four formula that I can then drag down in a block - for it to work, is that right?

Thanks again,

Roddy.

Upvote 0
Sorry I misunderstood your pattern. The formula I posted always averages 9 cells. What comes after D31:D43?

Upvote 0
After D31:D43 its D44:D50 (7 values again) then D51:D59 (9 values again) then D60:D71 (12 values again) then D72:D84 (13 values again).

The pattern of blocks of 7 values then 9 then 12 then 13 repeats itself to the end of the sheet - this pattern will change for later sheets but once I can see how the formula works I will be able to modify it when I need to.

Thanks again,

Roddy.

Upvote 0
A bit convoluted, but try:

=AVERAGE(INDEX(Sheet2!D:D,ROWS(E$3:E3)+2+(37*INT((ROWS(E$3:E3)-1)/4))+LOOKUP(MOD(ROWS(E$3:E3),4),{0,1,2,3},{25,0,6,14})):INDEX(Sheet2!D:D,ROWS(E$3:E3)+8+(37*INT((ROWS(E$3:E3)-1)/4))+LOOKUP(MOD(ROWS(E$3:E3),4),{0,1,2,3},{31,0,8,19})))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
malcolmlyle

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back